Chapter 5

After the awkwardness of the first few dates, Valentia and I fell into a comfortable relationship, nothing official on social media or anything, but a relationship nonetheless. We went out to eat every Tuesday for dinner, trying a new place each week because we both got bored eating the same things over and over again.

The case had grown cold, and with little to no forensic evidence to go on, Valentia and detective Gardner were stuck with no place to go. Four months after Mr. Waxworth's body was found, the PPD officially closed the case of both murders and they were labeled undetermined.

We were curled up on my couch on a rainy cool evening watching old movies. Valentia had her head laid on my lap as she napped with Patches in a ball by her side, purring loudly. I ran my fingers through her hair continuously and she sighed contently. I smiled down at the two of them, completely happy in that moment. I was so happy that I forgot about everything else-the parts of my life that were plaguing me.

My cellphone rang and when I saw the number, I hit ignore. I couldn't talk to him while she was here. Closing my eyes, I thought about where my life was heading. Everything was perfect, I could stop now-I didn't have to keep going. It may not be worth it in the end.

I shook it off and opened my eyes, resolving myself once again to what I had to do. I knew that things could go sour-hell, they probably would but I'd do what I have to, no matter what. My family mattered more to me than anything in this world.

After a little while, Valentia slowly woke up and I leaned down a kissed her head. The look she gave me when she looked up at me, it was something I'd never forget. She was droopy eyed and an adorably small smile touched her lips. My chest tightened up and inhaled a deep breath. Not wanting her to worry, I smiled back.

"How long was I asleep?" She asked as she sat up and rubbed her palms into her eyes. "Not long, maybe an hour. You were exhausted. Is everything okay?" Valentia groaned, stood, and stretched. Patches, not happy to be disturbed, meowed and leapt from the couch to go get something to eat.

"Things at work are crazy. We're totally backed up with cases and our captain is breathing down our necks. He wants us to figure everything out as soon as something comes up-like that's going to happen. What would really help is if the crazy people would just go away for a while, then we could get through everything we have." I frowned and Valentia started collecting her jacket, umbrella, and purse.

"Anyway, I have to go. Gotta go home and get cleaned up before I go to work. Bye, babe." She kissed me gently on the lips and left. I stood after a moment and collected the remains from our dinner. We probably bought out the Chinese restaurant around the corner. Once I was finished cleaning up, I grabbed my phone and called the number I'd ignored earlier.

"What did you find?"

"I found the next one. But, are you sure this is a good idea? I know that you've been having second thoughts."

"What are you talking about? I'm fine."

He chuckled lowly. "You forget I know you better than anyone else-you're not fine. Look, if you can't-" My eyes narrowed and I cut him off.

"I can. If you know me so well then you should know that. I'll come over next week and we'll figure out what to do this time."

"Fine, but Rayne?"

"Yeah?"

"Just...we don't have to keep doing this. I know that you're getting stressed and I feel bad. I...I hate putting you through all this."

I sighed, resigned. I was just so tired of everything. Tired of the lying, the hiding, the crying-the nightmare that had become my life. I asked myself often how I got there and there was no response.