The Parcel

SORRY ITS REALLY SHORT THE INTRO

It all starts with a brown paper package. Cornered edges contrasting against its beautifully long sides creating a perfect rectangle. A flimsy silver card is attached to the package with only a fragile piece of string tied in a perfect knot.

The hands of a mailman trace the smooth surface before showing a toothy grin and holding it up for all his fellow workmen to see.

"Oi! Look at this one chaps! The proud owner will be glad to receive this!"

Some of the men shrug it off and turn back to their work stations, whilst others stare, vaguely impressed. Hands reach out to touch the stunning parcel creating a shadow on the floor in the shape of a magnificent tree. A man happens to glance down and gasps; everyone takes a step back and the shadow of the tree disappears.

One by one they return to work. The men who saw the shadow feel a weird sensation of hope.

The package is bundled along slower than any other. It's thrown into a large mail sack along with many parcels of all shapes and sizes. The package sits and waits for weeks, waiting patiently for its turn. Until finally the sack gets chucked into the back of a truck and driven away.

Night falls. The workers leave the building and all is where it belongs. Except for the flimsy sliver of card, a name and address written on it.

Sitting all alone with no package to be attached too.