Twenty-Two

Sam was getting better, but that didn't stop Gabe from worrying. One day, they were sitting in Sam's living room, and Sam wasn't saying anything.

"Okay, Sam, you've been sad for a long time, and I don't like it. I've had this in my back pocket for a while, and I was hoping I wouldn't have to give up my dignity, but you give me no choice," Gabe said. Sam gave him a confused look.

"What are you talking about?" Sam asked. Gabriel, in place of answering, began to sing.

When I was a young lad I used to like girls

Gabe could see Sam getting more and more confused, but by the chorus, he was smiling.

Moose, moose, I likes a moose
I've never had anything quite like a moose
I've had lots of lovers, my life has been loose
But I've never had anything quite like a moose

Sam was full out laughing by the end of the chorus, and Gabe kept going. The next few verses were mostly about how other animals weren't good relationship material, always ending with the chorus proclaiming love for a moose, and at the end Gabe tagged on a verse of his own composure.

Now my moose he goes by the name of Sammy
I love him a lot and that's plain to see
I'd give almost anything to give him a smile
Including my dignity all in a pile

Gabe finished with one final chorus, then took a bow to Sam's giggles.

"That was... amazing. Is that a real song?" Sam asked, grinning.

"Well that last verse was an improv by yours truly, but the rest of it, yeah," Gabe said, sitting down and smiling.
"Well thank you. I needed that," Sam said.

"Don't get used to it. That was so embarrassing I think I might never show my face again," Gabe told him.

"Well it cheered me up," Sam said. And everyone has their own opinion, but Gabriel always thought of that day as the turning point.