Chapter 8

"Possible causes? Really?"

"Well I couldn't blame the taskmaster anymore since the only traces we found of him are his burned carcass."

"So your next logical decision is to assume that Bobby is," Salem pauses "Gifted?"

"No. In fact I put that possibility to the bottom of the pile. I made it lowest priority."

"Lowest priority?" Bobby inquires.

"Son, I may not be on the highest of moral ground, but I know right and wrong, and lettin' those gumshoes pry into your pain and grief isn't what's right. So I decided to come talk to you myself. That way you can avoid an interrogation, of sorts." The man speaks softly in contempt of his elevation. With a sigh, Salem lands Pym back onto the floor.

"Continue, Dr. Pym" Bobby requests.

"What was it you wanted to discuss with us?" Salem adds. "Please, sit. We just made ramen. I'm brewing tea as we speak." Salem offers hospitably. Out of courtesy, Pym sits on an open spot on the couch.

Bobby picks up the conversation. "We didn't know that you did that for us."

"Well the plan was that you three wouldn't have to know." Pym explains. "That is, before after I spoke with Charles. Upon that discovery I then made sure I would speak with you in person."

"Why not just send him to Charles then?"

"Because we don't have the money for a school like that, obviously." Bobby deadpans. "So about the offer. What kind of job are we discussing?"

"I thought I owed it to-" Pym halted as he witnessed a trio of ramen bowls levitate toward the table and land in their respective seats. "Your parents."

"Oh, that's me. Perks of being a public magic user."

"Very fascinating." The doctor's thirst for knowledge revealed itself.

"I'd love to discuss it with you later. But my brother's question wasn't answered."

Oh, yes your job offer. Do you know what your parents were researching, and for what purpose?"

"Well I know my mom researched that gas. That's about it."

"That gas is extraterrestrial. It's not found naturally on earth."

"So... why look into it that intensively?"

"Because it is generated and manipulated by a human girl who came in contact with it. We wanted to know if it was causing any harmful effects to her."

"Well does it smell?" Bobby attempts to add humor, to be rewarded with a deadarm from his brother. Bobby can only wince and announce his pain.

"Well what does that have to do with Bobby?"

"In order for you to understand you need to continue to listen." Pym offers only bluntness to the pair. "You father introduced you to how the my Pym particles work yes? His actual task was to conduct research on microwaves, specifically to find better treatment for internal radiation poisoning, perhaps even a cure."

"The connection?"

"There is a vigilante mutant with an ability of Microwave generation. Because of her weaponization of her ability, She is in danger of dying to radiation sickness."

"You're recruiting."

"No. I'm doing the opposite. I've only taken gifted children with prior experience in that line of work into my fold. As of now I'm working with three young heroes: Firestar, Cloud 9, and Speedball, all three of whom are more dangerous to themselves then they are to others. I'm looking for a way to eliminate that danger, or at least reduce it for them." Pym pauses, providing himself with sustenance offered to him. Subsequently, another trio of kitchenware levitate to the table. Pym manages to catch his glass before it completes it's descent to the table. "Ah, thank you." He sips. "You, however are a special case. You have no experience in that field. However, I believe because of your developed ability and your circumstances, I should extend this offer to you as well. Your parents worked with me toward this goal. I owe it to them to provide you with my assistance as a way to honor them. Will you accept the offer?"

We'll need some time to think on this, Dr. Pym. It was a lot of information to take in at once. We really appreciated you coming." The albino subtly halts his brother.

"Well if you'd like to see with your own eyes what I have to offer, you can find me," he slides a card onto the table. "Here."

"Thank you kindly, Dr. Pym. I'll see you out now." With a nod, the duo proceed toward the door.

"We?" Bobby questions.

"Yes. We are going to talk about this" After shaking hands with the boy, The good doctor leaves the premises with a click of the door. With the gate to the outside shut, silence rears its ugly head. The pair of brothers look to each other, looking for answers: one for direction and guidance, the other for acceptance and confirmation.

"I can't."

"You won't."

"Can we not have this conversation again?"

"You're seriously going to walk away from the best shot you got at controlling yourself?"

"If you want to go, then go."

"The invitation is addressed to you, and only you. Vi and I both know you don't want your powers but I'll be damned if I'm going to let you live in denial."

"Let me?"

"We know nothing about your powers. We don't know if they could have some sort of effect on you! Look at that girl and the microwaves."

"You don't know that!"

"Exactly!"

"Well you had a pretty easy time telling me how to heat up the ramen!"

"Hey!" Violet calls from the door, shushing them both. The sister looks to the albino. The asks slowly and deliberately. "What happened? Why was Hank Pym just here and why were you arguing?" Collecting herself, she scans the house. "And why do I smell chicken?"