Chapter 5

The pair hustled as fast as they could, pushing against the headwind of people running away from the facility. Salem holds out his arm to Violet. 

"Grab on!"

"What?"

"Just do it! I can get us there faster." Violet clutches his arm. Salem moves her hands around his waist, takes a breath, and conjures the propelling wind tunnels, lifting the pair off the ground over the horde to get closer to the building. Praying for her family's safety, Violet looks up from her elevated position to see the blue blazes coming from the building in perfect view.

"Oh my god."

"Violet they're fine. Wee just need to find them." Salem begins to land, the cyclones fading from existence.

"How can you possibly know that?" She hollers, her train of rational thought leaves her behind.

"Because I said we'll find them and that's all we have!" The pair land with a thud and a stumble on the concrete, The younger of the two hiding worry in his eyes. Salem and Violet both scan the area looking for somewhere they could find their family. The pair spots a mob of civilians and police at a respectable distance from the Pym lab. The siblings look to each other for some recognition of reality. The younger one speaking up first.

"I need to find a way in."

"No, you stay here, I actually have a key."

"Violet they won't let you pass."

We have to try some-" The bickering was cut off by a wave of screaming from the people. Looking up, there's something falling from the hole of the building, that something transforms into a human life falling to it's demise. Salem pushes from his sister and makes a suicide run for an opening large enough. Miraculously he leaps as higher than physics would allow. A blast of air follows his ascent. Salem's eyes widen as he realizes who he is about to catch. 

"Bobby!" Salem's voice becomes a concoction of fear, confusion, and relief as he cradles his  brother in his arms. "Hold on." is the only thing he says. He closes his eyes, manipulating the tubes of wind under his feet to lower himself. Bobby looks down to see the civilians applauding and cheering for Salem, most likely mistaking him for a different costumed hero. Once reaching a safe height, he feels Salem let go of himself, causing Bobby to land roughly. Salem stays in the air, calling to Bobby. 

"Get home, now." Salem ascends once more and takes off towards the rear of the facility attempting to shroud his visage. Bobby turns away to search for his other sibling to hear his sister a step ahead of him. Her voice is almost completely muffled by the murmur of the crowd, as she wades through the crowd to find her brother. His eyes focus on his sister, completely unaware that they are on opposite sides of a police rail. Violet is halted by an enforcer.

"Step back, miss."

"Please, that's my brother."

"Violet!" Bobby beckons from behind the officer. Upon hearing the boys calls, the officer allows the sister to pass. 

"Are you okay?"

"Am I okay? You fell out of a building!" 

"Violet. I'm okay, really. Salem caught me." 

Salem coming from the rear of the building spots his siblings talking.

Where's Mom and Dad, Bobby?"

"Violet..." His head descends.

"Bobby answer me, dammit!"

"Violet... Mom and Dad..." He raises his head and meets his eyes with his sister's. Tears run down his face. Violet reciprocates involuntarily. 

"No... They couldn't.. they can't.." Violet's head shakes rapidly.

"Violet," Bobby is interrupted only to be denied again, his sister backing away from the boy. 

"Yes, Violet."

"No."

"Violet!" He grabs his sister's shoulders. A consistent river or depression runs down their faces. "I saw them!" Releasing his sister and letting go he adds. "They're gone." 

The brother takes hold of the sister's appendage. "C'mon. let's go home." He tugs again, "It's alright. Let's go, Vi." He brings the sister to walk to the police cruiser, waiting to deliver them to the place that was once called home.  They enter the car silently, the smallest noise able to be heard until the chariot's horses came to life once more. The pair walk home to the waiting Salem. The king and queen were gone, the night has fallen.