Chapter Six- Exposure

Greg Lestrade
I’d known it was a bad idea. To be honest, I think Mycroft had too. It was actually hard to believe that a bloody Holmes brother had put sharing a room with me before his status as head boy- if anyone had walked in on us doing something in our dorm, we could both be expelled.

And now someone had.

Mycroft had pulled John and Sherlock in by their arms before anyone else had the chance of seeing us, and slammed the door behind them.

“But the books-” Sherlock protested.

“Shut up, brother dear,” Mycroft snapped. Sherlock flipped him off, then smirked.

“I bloody knew it.”

John, seeming almost as worried as I was, stood in the doorway mumbling apologies and avoiding eye contact. He seemed nice- didn’t know what he was getting into hanging around with one of the Holmes boys, of course. Especially with all of the stuff that had happened with Sherlock last year- but it was pretty obvious they were getting off okay. Better than anyone expected- it wasn’t every day that you heard about somebody hurling toast at the rugby squad to defend Sherlock Holmes.

Mycroft was still glaring at Sherlock, but I could see the panic in his eyes. Sherlock was smirking back.

I picked my shirt and hoodie off the floor and threw them on as quickly as I could. Mycroft then did the same with his button up and blazer, but never tore his eyes off his brother. It seemed like he thought that if he moved his eyes off him for a moment, he’d run down the hallway screaming ‘they’re gay! They’re gay! I caught them snogging!’

“Oh, just sit down, for God’s sake,” I waved a hand at the sofa. Sherlock strode over, still carrying about ten books (you’re only supposed to take eight out. He probably did it by flirting with Molly- again, poor girl). John followed him, shuffling awkwardly and looking like he wished he was a hundred miles away.

Mycroft furrowed his eyebrows at John, surveying him intensely. But John didn’t seem intimidated- perhaps embarrassed, but not intimidated. I was surprised- as much as I loved Mycroft, his glares could liquefy almost everyone I knew. He’d even give Sally Donovan a run for her money.

With a loud groan, I collapsed backwards onto my bed with a hand over my forehead. I knew Sherlock probably wouldn’t tell- we’d kept plenty of his secrets last year, and even though he and Mycroft didn’t get along. John on the other hand… Well, he seemed nice enough, but I didn’t know his views on guys liking guys and some people could turn from totally fine to totally rubbish when they found out people were gay.

Mycroft started to pace backwards and forwards slowly, as if he literally was wading through the tense atmosphere. He was the first to speak. “How long have you known, Sherlock?” He sounded weaker and more vulnerable than he usually did in front of other people- this was usually adorable. At the moment… It was pretty bloody terrifying.

Sherlock sighed nonchalantly. “Oh. Ages- you couldn’t have been more obvious.”

“Obvious?” Mycroft repeated.

“Yes, obvious. You and Greg made me watch Sex and the City with you, for God’s sake. Honestly, brother. However you used to convince me that you were the smart one-”

“- I am the smart one,” Mycroft snapped back.

Here we go again… I gave John a sympathetic look. This was probably the first time he’d seen the Holmes brothers fight, and if he liked Sherlock as much as he seemed to (judging by how close they were sitting together. Sherlock never made physical contact with anyone) this wouldn’t be the last.