P-1: Prologue

Hope's Peak Academy - a shining beacon of the nation's most talented. Simply graduating from the prestigious school would guarantee you success for the rest of your life, but the thought of attending Hope's Peak was a mere myth to most people. The school personally scouted each and every one of its students, dubbing them a "Super High School Level" in whatever field they excelled in.

The thought of Hope's Peak had always been pushed to the back of Nishimura Seishiro's mind, only brought up by his little sister occasionally gushing about how oh-so-wonderful it would be to attend. He thought that they wouldn't notice some average boy from a small town, no matter how talented. That is, until he found himself standing before the towering gates of the academy, fidgeting with the acceptance letter in his hand until it became a crumpled mess. He sighed in dismay upon realising the state of the sheet of paper, before unfolding it and rereading the printed writing for what felt like the hundredth time.

To Nishimura Seishiro:

You have been scouted by Hope's Peak Academy as the Super High School Level Pyrotechnician, which recognises you as the best and most talented high-school-age student currently in this field.

We would be honoured to accept you and your talent into Hope's Peak.

Seishiro stopped reading, folding the letter back into his pocket. He tugged at the unruly lock of dark brown hair that had somehow decided to stick up straight this morning and refused to obey the laws of gravity. In hindsight, a grey hooded jacket and jeans weren't exactly the prime choice of uniform to wear on one's first day at the most famous school in Japan, but it was all he could do. And besides, what kind of weird talent was 'SHSL Pyrotechnician' anyway?

Done with mentally preparing himself, Seishiro strode quickly through a barren courtyard, staring at his sneakers. Creaking open a large set of doors, he stepped into an oddly empty hall. Just as he realised that something was definitely wrong, a wave of nausea and dizziness hit him. He stumbled, darkness clouding the corners of his vision.

It was like everything was blurring together. Not just the room and what he could see, but it seemed that space itself was warping and twisting. He wanted to scream. It didn't feel like he was still standing anymore, like the ground wasn't solid, and he felt something there, and it was loud, everything was so loud and-

He didn't realise when he hit the floor, grasping at his fading consciousness.

He wouldn't realise a lot of things.

________________________________________________________

A/N: Okay, let's get some things out of the way. Firstly, I don't own the Danganronpa franchise, nor the character of Monokuma. I do own the sixteen students, though. Oh, and character names are given in the Eastern format of surname, then first name.

Secondly, a huge, huge thank you to InsaneFangirl69 for being my editor, drawing art of the characters and providing about half the ideas in here, and to Nerd101Ann for also designing and drawing my characters, plus adding a few names and ideas every now and then.

Thirdly, disbelieve me if you want, but I began conceptualising this story before reading other stories around here, so any resemblance to another fanfiction character is purely coincidence - and I'm sorry if it seems I've stolen a plot twist or character!

Also, if you like what you see, please vote and comment, and if possible offer suggestions, criticism, etc. It means a lot to me!