Part Two: Mika

Disclaimer: I do not own the copyrights to Naruto. Don't sue.

Serei Kirite, Happy Birthday. Don't say I didn't give you a birthday present. Enjoy.

Author's Notes at the bottom.

Italics indicate the actions Sophia takes with her psychic ability.

BOOK ONE: UCHIHA

PART TWO: MIKA

00000000000000

Smelling of baby powder and lotion, Sophia lay sprawled on her back in the hospital crib. Around her babies cried or slept and people pressed up against the glass of the nursery window to peer adoringly at the small bundles.

Sophia wriggled slightly, her sixth sense extended, gently brushing over the people passing outside. Her twin was in the crib next to her, fast asleep. Their father hadn't come to the hospital yet, so neither of them had been given names. Sophia wasn't too sure how she felt about a new name, but she was certain she wanted something good and solid like her old name. Someone stopped outside the nursery window and stared in at her and her sibling. She carefully reached out and touched.

Curiosity and a sense of calm confidence washed coolly over her mind, the thoughts deep and quick, moving like rivers. She abruptly wanted to sink into that mind and stay there for a very long time. Only once had she found a mind like this one, and she hadn't even been able to talk to the person before they had been lost in the crowd of people in the shopping center. The door of the nursery opened and the curious person and someone else -a nurse- came in. The nurse picked up Sophia, and the other person picked up her sibling.

They were carried out of the nursery down the corridor. Tuning in on the curious person, Sophia caught in his thoughts that -he- was her new older brother, and that he was worried about something. They turned into a room.

"Itachi," said a tired, happy voice, "Good morning."

"Good morning, Okaa-san," came the reply. "How are you?"

The nurse moved over to the bed, and the woman in it accepted Sophia into her arms. "A little tired but I'll be fine. How late are you?" Her voice turned stern. The door opened and closed; the nurse had left.

Itachi laughed. "Not very. Have you named them yet?"

"Not yet," the woman opened her shirt, pulling a corner of the blanket up to hide, and Sophia strangled the awkward discomfort she felt and began to suckle at the nipple put near her lips, the sweet milk flowing into her mouth. "Your father wanted to be here to name them."

"I think something came up. He rushed out before I left." A loud squalling started up. "Someone else is hungry." Itachi started cooing gently, but to no avail. 

0000000000000000

Sophia lay once again in the nursery crib idly listening to the people outside and to her sibling. No coherent thought came from the baby boy, only a powerful awareness of sensation and impression. Her new father still wasn't here yet, and she and her sibling were still unnamed. She was impatient, with the man and the demands of her new body, rest and food and changing her soiled diaper taking up most of her energy so that she needed to sleep most of the day away.

But eventually she told herself to calm down and observe what she could, when she could. As a baby she would be in a good position to overhear things that would tell her how this place worked. Aside from the tidbits from the manga and anime the actual workings of the ninja world had not been revealed in much detail.