Part Five: If I scream.

Disclaimer: I have no claim to the copyrights of Naruto. Don't sue.

Italics indicate actions Mika takes with her sixth sense.

BOOK ONE: UCHIHA

PART FIVE: IF I SCREAM

Mika stirred slowly, feeling the coolness of the sheets and the warmth of Sasuke's nearness. Reflexively, she rolled over and wrapped her arms around her twin, drowsily nuzzling closer. She drifted closer to sleep, dreaming of sweetness and light, until the door clicked closed and through her mind the events of the past night replayed themselves in one dreadful flash. Feeling as if she was teetering on the brink of a bottomless hole, she concentrated on the warmth and familiar scent of her twin. Something touched her... fluttering on the fringes of her awareness... some kind of threat was near again. Her eyes opened and fixed dangerously on the person watching her and her brother. Danzō simply gazed at them steadily. She shifted slightly and saw Sasuke was still asleep.

Mika pulled him closer, careful not to disturb him and then looked expectantly at the Elder standing before her.

"Are we in the hospital?" she asked. Sasuke stirred and she looked away long enough to soothe him back to sleep. She wanted to talk to Danzō first and then deal with Sasuke.

"Yes. You've been here for a few days. Do you remember what happened before you fell unconscious?"

Mika opened her mouth to answer but the opening of the door cut her off.

"Ah, Danzō," said the Sandaime, "you're already here to pay your condolences, how polite."

No doubt... thought Mika sardonically, looking down at Sasuke as he stirred again. If he woke up she was going to have a difficult time getting what she wanted from the Hokage. In addition, Danzō's presence was complicating things unnecessarily. She couldn't so much as breathe about Itachi for fear he would kill them then and there, or at least not long after.

"Mika-chan, how are you feeling?" asked Sarutobi.

The look she sent him was blisteringly furious. "I'm fine, Sandaime-sama," she drawled, sarcasm oozing from every syllable, and didn't miss that there was absolutely no expression on Danzō's face when she said it. "Just peachy..." She took a breath and reached out. Sasuke had stirred again, and she realized he wasn't asleep. With a discomfited feeling she realized that she could get the Hokage to answer her question and take some of the spotlight off her by getting Sasuke to ask the question instead. She pressed her forehead to his.

"Hey," she whispered. Reluctantly Sasuke opened his eyes. The look in them nearly made Mika fall into the darkness she felt earlier in her mind. She hauled herself out again and stroked his cheek. "Sasuke?"

He rolled over and buried his face in her shoulder. "Mika, what happened? They were all dead... What happened?"

Well... She glared at the Sandaime, silently willing him to answer. "I don't know," she said finally. "Maybe Sandaime-sama and Danzō-sama can tell us."

The Hokage sighed mentally. Itachi had warned him to expect her to know much more about what went on than what he first expected. The fact that she had included Danzō in her statement was a possible affirmation of the warning and also the extent of her knowledge. And that look on her face... so much like her brother, yet there was someone else looking out at him. To his surprise, Danzō did nothing extreme and indicated that he should do the explaining. Very quietly and soberly, he explained to the two children the version he had prepared. Predictably Sasuke went into hysterics and Mika immediately slapped him, whereupon he lapsed into broken sobbing and she gathered him to her again.