3. Journey

'Why is it so cold?' Mizuki groggily thought to himself. He must've fallen asleep. As he opened his eyes and viewed his surroundings the previous day's events flashed in his mind.

'Right. I was killed, reincarnated, and then abandoned next to a garbage can. My life sure is amazing.' He thought with sarcasm.

He lifted his head. Or tried to, he could barely move. 'How am I going to survive if I can barely move? What is this poor old man going to do?

Barely anyone passes by this place, the only ones I know were those kidnappers. 'Tch, I must be in a very well hidden place.' He mused to himself.

Grumble. Growl~

Mizuki snapped out of his musing. 'Ugh, I'm hungry. What do babies eat, again? Wait... Can babies eat? I really regret not taking classes on this.'

Growl~

He sighed heavily. Well, I guess that's my main concern for now. Getting food.

That was easier said than done. Mizuki attempted to get up 5 times but to no avail.

'God, why is this body so easily tired. Oh yeah.. because I'm a baby!'

Guuuu~

'I'm starving and tired. Even better!' He laughed manically, but if someone had passed by they would have heard a babe's giggle.

'Maybe I should give up..' Mizuki thought solemnly. That was before he remembered his promise to make those who wronged him regret it. The fire burned inside him.

'No! I will never give up!' He tried getting up again, thinking that it would end up the same as his previous attempts, but this time he felt something different. The world was moving, no he was moving!

He was standing.

He.. actually did it.

'Yes!' He exclaimed, but deep inside he was confused. 'Can a two day old, starving child actually be able to pull something like this off?' He thought. 'Oh well, I should just be thankful that I can actually get up now.'

Little did he know that what helped him stand up was actually a substance called chakra. His chakra.

'I should go look for some food now.' He thought determinedly. Just take the first step... annndddd.. whap..

'Ouch, that just happened.' He got up again and rubbed his aching nose. It took him a while to get used to walking, a little being over an hour or so, but once he got the hang of it was he unstoppable.

He waddled around the garbage can as practice first, all the while ignoring the smell.

'All right! Let's go and look for some food!'

He scanned his surroundings again, then looked at the trash. He wasn't about to be picky about where he would find food. Maybe in his previous life, but there was no need in the past. He had enough money to last him years. Was it karma that had made him like this? Now he had nothing.

He pushed the trash can, with all his might, toppling it over. The contents spilling out of the metal bin. He knew he shouldn't do this, but he had no choice. There was no way he was going into the woods, he might get eaten by animals looking for easy prey.

He toddled towards the fallen contents.

Inside the trash there were newspapers..? Leaflets..? He didn't know, maybe they were importan- 'oh food'! And right behind those papers were dango sticks, some that still had food on it and some that were empty. And... "Oh, some milk." Finding a full bottle, make that three bottles. "They must've been lactose intolerant."

'Oh well, I'll take what I can get. Besides the dango, and milk there were also some packages on ramen. Completely sealed. 'Yes! Wait.. was he in Japan?' As well as, 'Damn! I don't have any teeth..'

Sighs

'Well, I think I'll need to ration this out before I start eating.' The only thing he could eat was the dango, unless he had something to soften the ramen. Luckily he had some milk. Babies can live on milk only if they're young enough.'

Even so, he thought himself lucky that one of the kidnappers was on a diet. Probably the woman, but it could've been the fat man as well. Who was he to judge?

Days turned into weeks, and during that time Mizuki exercised. Exercise meaning, eat, sleep, and toddle around. Perhaps it was his past life that would make him exercise, but he would exercise every single day. It had gotten to the point that he was able to lightly kick something without stumbling over. He would kick the trash can as a way to practice his kickboxing. Or his past life's kickboxing, it was so confusing. He practiced so much that it reduced the trashcan to half of its original size. I mean, what else could an old man do except wait, and even in his past life for retirement? But, he wasn't one of them, he was unique.

He rationed out his food for three months, and with the rate, he was going he would have still had enough for a couple more weeks if he had a bite of it every day. He was still hungry, but he would survive. He would only drink the milk if the situation became bad enough.

Though he never questioned why he didn't look like he was starving. Although he was.. but counted it as a silent blessing.

He took to reading the leaflets from before. And although he had some trouble with the words he was completely fluent in the language by the time the month ended. He knew this because the leaflets had the day he was kidnapped, and he relied on his shadow to tell the time. He even learned how to properly introduce himself.

Flashback

"H-hallo my n-nam is Miz-ki! Mizu? Water? Mizuki." He laughed in triumph, before catching himself. He looked around in mortification.

Flashback End

'Ahh, I'm so embarrassed I want to die!' He thought embarrassed.

He lay down in his makeshift bed, which was just cardboard. And his blanket being a newspaper.

  'What am I supposed to do now? Should I try to find some people and try to get a few words out of them?'

He rolled over, I'll do it tomorrow, and closed his eyes.

Preview: 'Shuffling... mumbling... rustle... rustle...'

End

[A/N] I'm thinking of making it canon in either the next chapter or the one after. I realized that writing a story about a village that I barely even know, as someone who hasn't watched Naruto after his genin days during the anime, I thought that I shouldn't take the risk and that I should actually follow canon, but have some slight changes.

Mizuki was born in Amegakure, but he won't stay in the same place for long. He also won't know what chakra is due to the fact that he was born before the comic Naruto was made in the real world.