Chapter Twenty-Eight

Corinne's legs ached from trotting on the horse she had "borrowed" out of the royal stable. Good thing Kael had taught her how to ride or else she would have had to find another means of travel. Finally, the blue waters of the great Qoy Lake were visible. She kicked her right heel, "Yah!"

She loved the feeling of riding horseback. It gave her a real sense of freedom. The smell of the fresh air was amazing as she galloped towards the lake. Corinne spotted Calix standing about 50 yards away. She pulled back on the reigns, "Whoa." Corinne dismounted and tied the horse to a nearby tree. The air turned frigid and snow began to form in the sky.

She walked towards Calix but he was by her side in a flash. He hushed her and pulled Corinne behind a large bush, concealing them from the view of any possible followers. Corinne instantly formed an ice-like knife and it jutted into Calix's neck almost piercing his skin.

"Don't... touch... me!" She said coldly.

Calix let go and backed away surveying the surrounding areas. Corinne knew if anyone was within a mile, Calix would know. She glared at him and he looked intently back at her. She knew they shouldn't be meeting.

This was a bad idea.

She was shaking. She squeezed her fists and Calix was gasping for air. She was manipulating the water and oxygen molecules in his body. His eyes plead with her to stop. Something inside of her felt sad. She relaxed her fists.

Calix coughed, "Stop! We've got to talk Corinne. You know we do."

Corinne did not say a word. After a long moment of silence she said, "The only reason I decided to meet with you is because I feel I owe you in some weird way. You did save my life. I realize that I might have reacted harshly, but how do you expect me to feel Calix? I found out from Lettie that you were sent to kill me."

"I know Corinne. I'm so sorry you found out that way. There's really no good way to tell you that I was the one sent to kill you. But you have to know the history first. Just let me explain."

Corinne continued, "I don't want to know the stupid history. What have I ever done to you? I thought we were becoming friends, but naive as I was, I told you things and trusted you. After I found out the truth, I was furious. I had no choice but to banish you." Corinne's voice was getting louder and louder. "How do I know that everything you have said to me hasn't been a lie? How could you be so...so mean? I want you to be honest."

She stopped talking because she was getting upset. Her hands felt like they were on fire. Slowly, storm clouds gathered and the wind picked up. Her hair swirled around her crimson face, and there was a clap of thunder rolling through the skies.

"Well, honestly right now, you scare the heck out of me. Just don't strike me down with lightning okay?" he smiled, trying to help her calm down.

"Well, you, you should be scared!" she shot him a dark look and there was a flash of lightning.

Calix jumped back. "Corinne, please let me explain the truth, and then maybe you won't hate me so much. Please?" he begged.

He held out his hand and said, "We need to move. Come with me down to the cave."

Before her mind was made up, he grabbed her hand and led her through the forest. She tried to shake her hand loose but he wouldn't let go. The trees welcomed them as they passed by, swaying their branches out of the way and making a passage for them to enter the cave.

The mouth to Fara's cave had such a large entrance that it looked like it might swallow her the moment she entered. It had a small, trickling stream of water coming out. It was pitch black inside the damp cave and the water running over the mossy ground made it very wet and slippery. Corinne could no longer see and had to rely on Calix. He sat Corinne down on a large boulder in the middle of the cave. He let go of her hand and touched the wall. Immediately, a warm light formed from the cold darkness. Corinne was drenched and shivering. Calix gathered together some dry leaves, and whispered, "Elaweav." The leaves intertwined with each other, and made a blanket. He laid it over her lap.