Part 12

After Marcus left, Benedict grew hungry, as if on cue, Margie knocked at the door with a tray of food. "Has the contessa returned from her ride?" He asked. "N'yet my lord, but she should be at any moment now." The middle aged maid answered. "Margie could you please wrap that up for me, and put it in a basket with some fruit and wine?" He ordered politely. "Oh, and send Bernard up here."
"Of course, but may I ask why?" Margie raised an eyebrow. "Because, if you must know, Nosey, I wish to court my wife." He chuckled up to the woman who had cared for him since his youth. "But sir you are not well..."

"That will be all Margie." He dismissed her with a grin.
Several minutes later Bernard appeared at the door. "How can I assist you your Grace?" He asked. "Bernard, I know this isn't in your job description but..."

"Nonsense my lord, whatever you require I will be happy to assist as best I can." Reasurred the servant. "Wonderful. I need you to help me dress, and then to help me to the garden."

"But sir your wounds..." Argued Bernard. "Really Bernard, I just had this same exchange with Margie. My servants genine concern for my well being to the point that they argue with me is both heartwarming and nettlesome. While I do appreciate your concerns,  please do not argue with me. I wish to picnic with my wife in the garden and that is that."

15 minutes later he was being lowered onto a picnic blanket in the garden by not one but 5 of his servants, he hadn't asked for them, but everyone he passed on his way down to the garden had immediately stopped what they were doing to help him, while the rest of the household staff had gathered to ensure his well being, they seemed to hover around him. They're were way to many concerned hands on him, but despite his slight annoyance,  he didn't brush anyone away or order them to stop fawning over him like a lost puppy.  "I don't even a king could buy this type of devotion!" The Royal couldn't help but laugh outloud.

"You nearly gave your life to keep our lands safe. Watching out for you is the least we can do." Chuckled Bernard, setting him down. Quickly the servant girls rained pillows down on him, wanting him to be as comfortable as possible.

"Alright alright everyone." He'd finally had enough. "Your concern honors me. Please know that you are all very dear to me, and my house, but my wife will be here soon and I wish to dine with her alone,  so please run along."

After the servants dispersed he noticed Angelica leaning against the wall behind him, a huge grin on her face. "How much of that did you see?" He asked, growing suddenly embarrassed. She let out her laugh and motioned in a circle. Meaning "All of it."

She walked over and sat beside him. "Pillow?" He asked through a chuckle, pulling one of the many they had surrounded his body with out from under him and holding it out.