IV. In the Heat of the Day

Whispers of the arrest rippled through headquarters. The guards widened their battle scarred faces in the prospect of interesting gossip.

"Did you hear about the arrest Kenton Caffrey made?"

"Yeah. Apparently the guy's a juggler," the guard lifted part of his folder to look at the information, "Name's Jeremy Dougle. Hm, interesting. He became an Entertainer pretty late in life. He was thirty-two, and outlier, I see."

"I wonder if he's part of the rebellion."

"There's not a rebellion here! And there never will be."

"But, there could be."

Timothy Perkins took his eyes off his lunch. "I heard the Kenton Caffrey had not no legal reason to bring the man in," he said, "The man did nothing."

An uncomfortable silence settled upon the table. The noise of the other tables pounded against Timothy's skull.

Bugsley shifted his position. From his coat pocket, he produced a cigar.

"Perkins lighter, please."

"But smoking is-"

"Lighter."

Without another word, Perkins took out his lighter and handed it to the older guard. Bugsley lite the cigar and took in a long inhale of smoke.

"Oh, gross," one guard complained.

"You know that is going to get you sick and cause you to die," another guard pointed out.

Bugsley shrugged. "Hasn't killed me yet, now has it?"

Not one response came. A narrowed faced man from the other end of the table, wrinkled his nose, disgusted by Bugsley's choices. "You know there are water vapor cigars," he said.

Bugsley set a cold eye upon the narrow faced guard. "It's a free country," Bugsley said, "if you don't like it then get the hell out of here."

The narrow faced guard stared the smoker down. After a few moments, he decided to take his leave.

"If Bugsley wants to get himself sick, then so be it," he said as he stood up, "but, he ain't bringing me down with him."

He left the cafeteria. Others followed, seeking freedom from the smoke. The room became empty, except for Bugsley and the loyal Perkins near him.

The older guard extinguished his cigar. "I never liked those, anyhow."

Timothy looked at him in disbelief. "Then, why did you smoke it?"

"It's a way to get people to clear out here, fast. People are almost superstitious when it comes to smoke."

"But, they should be. The studies show-"

Bugsley held up his hand. "Stop it. I just needed to talk to you alone."

A nervous feeling crawled underneath Timothy's skin. "To me?"

The older guard rolled his eyes. "No, to the vice-president. Yes, of course to you."

"Okay."

"It's about Kenton Caffrey."

Dark emotions befell upon Perkins. "I have nothing to do with him," he spat.

"Good. Then you have no reason to speak of him. Timothy, never degrade yourself by engaging into the idle gossip of others. It will just hurt you and others in the long run. And never, I repeat, never throw anybody under the bus. Are you listening?"

"Yeah, I hear you."

"No, but, do you listen?"

Perkins got up and threw out his untouched lunch. Bugsley regained his jovial mood.