V. Moonlight Sonata

Jeremy Dougle pressed his lips to the mouth of a beer bottle as he took a hearty swig.  He slammed it down with a satisfied sigh.  Then his eyes turned to the smuggled T.V. that they bar owner displayed  right in the middle of the liquor. 

A slender African American women's face squiggled across the screen.  Upon her neck laid that "E", a scar that she wore with pride.  A scroll detailing the arrest of Circus LeCue rolled underneath her.

"Look at those phonies," Jeremy said, "What kind of ding bat listens to them?  Hey, bartender, turn it up!" 

A man in a white apron turned.  His thick face bunched up into a crooked smile as he did as ordered.  Joe Wheeler took every chance to show off his illegal good.

Candace Elliot, the small violinist, titled her neck to peer at the screen.  Her mouth remained in a firm line.  "How is it that we Entertainers can't make a cent off our services, but our lousy agents and producers can."

Jeremy smirked as if he found that statement funny.  "Loopholes, my dear, loop holes."

The violinist's demeanour stiffened.  "Well, I think that's wrong.  I certainly don't have."

"Well, that's why you've found yourself in this slum.  You need connections, babe."

"I'm not you babe."

"Oh, yeah, that's you're that bastard's, Quentin Fare's.  Been his since you got into that quartet that many others were vying for.  Tell me, Candy, how much easier was it for you when you became his lover?"

Candace turned her face to the floor.  A furious blush crowded her cheeks.  "That's the past, Jeremy.  Just the past."

The juggler took another sip from his beer.  The dark women on the T.V., Queenie Sommers, expressed her points, not for educational value, just for mere entertainment of the masses.  

"I think the rebellion is, quite frankly, a dumb idea."  Her dark stained mouth move in careful twists around her words.  "I mean, we should be doing what we do for the love of it.  Not the fame.  Not the money."

Candace's face squished in an unpleasant formation as Jeremy ordered another beer.  "Why do you drink so much?" she asked, "I hate it when you drink."

His shoulders lifted into a shrug.  "You can't please everyone."

Queenie's opinion on Circus LeCue rang through.  "Here is an example for rebel without a cause.  If some would just except what we have then we would continue with creating our art."

The juggler's voice rose with disbelief and outrage.  "Look at her!  Can you believe it?  I mean, look at her, sprouting off about something she knows nothing about!"

With a reluctant move, Candace turned her head to face the screen.  "It's the modern age.  Everybody has to form an opinion they don't know about."

Her words did not reach his ears.   The tirade continued.  "How can society comment on a rebellion that is not even taking place?  That's just absurd-"

"Wait, what do you mean that there is no rebellion?  Circus LeCue was arrested for conspiring, right?"

Candace looked deep at Jeremy's face taking in his bruised and battered skin.  Jeremy studied her perfection.  His lips pressed into a thin smirk.

The turbulent feeling of horror sparked in the pit of Candace's stomach.  "No," she gasped, "Jeremy, please don't tell me that you did anything-"

He gave a simple nod.

"No, no.  No!  Tell me, what happened.  Tell me, why did you do it!  On second thought," Candace's hands shot to her ears, "don't tell me.  I don't want to no."  She jumped up and ran to the door.  She turned and with tears in her eyes she said.  "You're a monster!"