The past is never dead, it is not even past.

The Next Day

We stand around the table with the map in the middle.

“We have another couple of days before we make it to the Sand Village. And the Akatsuki want Gaara.” I say. Kiba nods.

“We need a plan for incase Deidara and Sasori come back.” Kiba’s says.

“Or they send someone else.” I state. Kiba shakes his head.

“Sasori and Deidara seem interested in you too Eri, so I don’t think they’d pass you and Gaara off to someone else.” He says. Gaara nods in agreement.

“Sasori’s out to get you. And Deidara seems to feel like talking when you’re around.” Gaara says. Kiba looks at me.

“I wonder why they ignore me, and go after you and Gaara. You’re not even a jinchuriki!” Kiba exclaims. I glare at him.

“Yeah, because who doesn’t want dangerous psycho’s, who are blood thirsty, by the way, to ignore them!” I say sarcastically. Gaara smiles, Kiba frowns.

“I’m entitled to my own opinion, or can’t I!” Kiba says.

“Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid.” I say simply. Kiba’s mouth drops open, him staring wide eyed at me. “Shut your mouth before you swallow a fly.” I say. Kiba glares at me, but shuts his mouth.

“So what’s the plan?” Asks Gaara. I look at Kiba and he shrugs. I sigh.

“We get to the sand village as quick as possible. At least Gaara will be safe then.” I say. Gaara looks at me.

“What about you? On the way back to Konaha. The Akatsuki are after you too.” He says. I shrug.

“Maybe they’re not after me. Maybe they were only interested in me because I was escorting you.” I say.

“Then why weren’t they after me?” Whines Kiba. I glare at him.

“Maybe because of her sharingan.” Says Gaara, more to himself, then to anyone. I look at him.

“Yeah, I guess.” I sigh. I walk away from the table, my head spinning.

I put my hand up to my head, voices whispering, the room spinning. I slump against the wall and Gaara rushes over to me.

”How can you be fine?”

“What’s wrong?” He asks. Kiba dives by my side. I try to focus on him.

”Why do you act like your alright? Like you’re not dying inside?”

“The stupid voices.” I try to laugh. Kiba grimaces. Gaara looks at Kiba. “I’ll be fine.” I say, trying to get up but I fall back down. Gaara picks me up bridal style and takes me to a room with a bed in it. He gently lays me down and puts the covers over me.

"You’re hearts filled with torment, I can see it in your eyes.”

I wrap myself into a ball. Kiba and Gaara watch me, worried.

”Every time you laugh, it’s filled with despair.”

I whimper, wishing it were over.

“Every smile, is drowning in pain.”

I shake my head and squeeze my eyes shut.

“Every tear, is spilling from loneliness.”

“Please stop Ichiro.” I whisper. Silence. I open my eyes and see Gaara pacing and Kiba practically laying on top of me. Kiba jumps on the bed and hugs me. Gaara dives over and grabs my chin.

“Are you alright?” He asks. I nod slowly.

“I’m fine.” I say, trying to smile. I remember what Ichiro said.

“Every smile, is drowning in pain.”

I stop smiling and Gaara watches me.

“I’m fine.” I mumble. I get out of bed, and sit at the end. No one talks. I take a deep breath and slowly let it out.

“I’m going to take a nap.” I whisper. Kiba takes a step towards me and Gaara shakes his head.

“Ok.” Gaara says, pushing Kiba out of the room and closing the door. I sit there, remembering the day Ichiro said that to me.

I sit on the ground, staring at the tree’s being blown by the wind.

“Hey Eri!” Ichiro says sitting beside me.

I had gotten news from The Third Hokage about my parents a few days back. They were seen in the Village Hidden in the Mist. They work for Orochimaru. I found out during class. An ANBU member appeared during the middle of class, turned to me and went

“Your parents were seen. We managed to uncover that they work for Orochimaru.” He said, and disappeared. What the heck right?!? Everyone’s heads snapped towards me. Especially Sasuke’s and Iruka-Sensei’s. My eye’s filled with tears and I jumped up and ran out the door. I heard Ichiro and Kaida yell wait at the same time, but I didn’t stop.

“Hi Ichiro.” I say, and look over at him smiling. Ichiro gives me a sad look.

”Why do you act like your alright? Like you’re not dying inside? You’re hearts filled with torment, I can see it in your eyes.” He says. I look away.

“What do you mean? I’m fine.” I say. Ichiro sighs.

“How can you be fine? Every time you laugh, it’s filled with despair. Every smile, is drowning in pain. Every tear, is spilling from loneliness. How can you be fine?” He asks. I look at him.

“Because even if I feel despair, pain, or loneliness, it won’t change anything. So I fake a smile and a laugh, hoping that maybe, just maybe, it’ll be real.” I whisper.