Epilogue

Six years later...
~Bailey

In the last twelve years I've really had time to think about where my life is now. I have an amazing twelve year old son who is such a gentleman, a brilliant six year old daughter who loves to dance, and a loving husband whom I met when I least expected to meet anyone.

I think about Sam, and Ottis. How far we've come as our own little family. I used to blame Sam, but I don't anymore. He's paying for what he did twelve years ago everyday. He has Ottis every weekend and he even had a wife and two twin boys that are two. I used to believe that I didn't care about Sam in any way other than him having the sole role as the father of my son. But when he got married something in me shifted, I felt a bit sad that it wasn't I whom he was marrying. But then I felt a heart wrenching pain when he announced that his wife was pregnant. I got over it after the twins were born. Sam deserves to be just as happy as I. Sam's wife died a year and a half ago due to suicide.

Her name was Carrie, she was kind and funny. We got along well. She suffered from depression all her life, Sam thought he could save her from it. But he couldn't. One night after Carrie's death Sam was going through her things. He came across her journal, in her journal it said how she loved a different man. He no longer loved her, he had left her for another woman. Carrie never told Sam about the other man she had feelings for. He was so crushed after reading that. He had built a life with her and it was like she used it as a distraction from her long lost love.

After Sam read the journal he immediately came to me. Clayton was with Carly and Ottis at this superhero convention in Maine, I didn't go cause I had a cold. I was sitting out on the porch steps and I was starring up at the clear black sky and memorizing the stars.

Sam sat next to me, I looked at him with so much concern it pained me.

"Sam what's wrong?" I asked him. He sniffled and looked down at his feet.

"She never truly loved me, Bailey. She loved another man the whole time we were together!" Sam broke down in my arms. He had explained to me what had happened, and he cried on my shoulder.

"I have twins now, that aren't a product of love, they were a product of a distraction. From her past." He sobbed into my neck. I just held him and let him cry.

"Oh Sam, I'm so sorry,"

"You know, I loved you so much when we were teenagers. Then you fell in love with Clayton and married him then had a baby with him, I loved you through all of that and I thought that maybe someone could love me back. Like the way Clay loves you." He hiccuped.

"Sam, you deserve someone to love you. Someone to share your life with. You deserve happiness too," He shook his head.

"I don't know what I deserve anymore. I couldn't help Carrie get over her depression, I couldn't help you raise our son. It's all coming back to bite me in the ass." I shook my head.

"No, I've forgiven you. It doesn't matter to me anymore that you weren't there because you've been here for the past eight years. You've made up for it."

He's slowly getting back to himself. It's been awhile since then. We often invite Sam and the twins over for lunches, diners, and play dates with Carly. I think him and the twins being around is helping him too. So he's not completely alone.

I've never seen such an over protective person, more protective than Ottis is with Carly. Just yesterday we were all at the park and Carly was playing with a boy in her class and Ottis came over to them and started starring down the poor boy. I was watching the exchange from the bench.

Carly had on her pink tutu dress and white tights.

"You look pretty, Carly," The boy smiled.

"Thank yo-" She started before Ottis stepped in.

"Stop looking at my sister kid!" He crossed his arms, and glared.

"Otty stop! He was just being nice!" Carly glared at her brother.

"No Carls, I don't like him looking at you. He's a boy." She huffed and looked at her brother.

"Mommy! Tell Ottis to be nice!" I smiled at Ottis. He smirked back. He knew I wasn't going o tell him to stop.

"Let's go Carly. I don't want you playing with him anymore." Then Ottis grabbed her wrist and pulled her away from the swings where the boy was standing.

I graduated from college with my degree in literature, so I'm becoming an author. We moved out of the city and back to my home town since my parents liked to play with the kids. Jenna was also living back home with her kids and Isaac. They married after Carly was born and Kendall turned two. Then after their wedding they got pregnant with their second daughter Esme.

Sam lives a few houses down from us, we have a big backyard with a jungle gym and swing set for the kids.

"What ya thinking about babe?" Clayton asks pulling me from my thoughts.

"How much my life has changed." I smiled at him.

"A good change right?" He questioned. I nodded and pulled his head in for a kiss.

"Thank you for returning my phone to me that day." He smiled against my lips.

"I'm glad I could help my damsel in distress," He pulled away and kissed my hand.

"Thank you for giving me a family, and a happy life." He says to me.

"I could say the same to you, I love you Clayton Joyce."

"I love you more, Bailey Joyce."
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Annnnnd it's finished folks! I kinda rushed it towards the end. I had a lot of fun writing this, and I hope you had a fun time reading it. Till next time!
~Marissa.