Chapter One

I hate plastic smiles and expensive champagnes.
That alone sums up my loathe for these parties that I have to endure, all because Richard isn't in the country.

Sadness surf in the pits of my stomach whenever I think about Richard who has become like a father to me.

He has gone on a trip to Japan, and won't be coming back until late September.

"You look absolutely breathtaking." Nadine who has been my nanny since Richard took me in nine years ago says.
She's twisting her blonde hair up in to bun as she strolls towards me, a smile plastered her slightly wrinkled face.

She sure loves to fling complements my way even though I wore conservative clothing all the time and little or no makeup.
She still would even if I was dressed in brown paper bag and my face was drowning in two inches of powder.

My dress is a black designer elongated at floors length, it was bare from the cuts and all those brazen things that lily wanted to put on it. Wearing a four inch black heels makes me tower over Nadine since elevating me from my height at 5'7.

"Thank you." I finally say accepting her flattery. It's all makeup. I wanted to add,
but thinks better of it. Nadine would scold me if I ever say that, she's all about high self esteem.

"Your welcome. Are you ready now? Your date is here. He's very astonishing too." She gleamed fixing her apron as if she was the one to be escorted.

I nod, taking my pouch up from the dressing table. I try not to freak out, Richard had already told him about the rules.
He's just here because I can't go without a date to this charity fundraising event.

"Just give me a minute." I tell her, she nods and close my room door.
I turn to the floor length mirror walking up to it closely and staring deadly in the grey-green eyes glaring back at me.

"You look great tonight." I whispered trying to convince myself.
If Richard was here, I wouldn't have to attend this function. Coming all the way to New York for a social gathering.

I have no problem with this charity event, but wouldn't it be better to just send a check?

I walk into the parlor where I figured my date would be. He is sitting on one of the white sofa, head bent low. He hasn't notice my arrival as yet.
I take the time to study him, he has light blond hair that is comb neatly to the back of his head.

"Hi." I greet him, he stands up, a wide grin takes over his features. He doesn't come closer to me as he extends his hand.

"Kobe Parker." He smiles brightly, I wonder what it's like to smile like that, so carefree. His black eyes shining brightly. I'm just a tad bit taller than him, in my heels. He's in a black tuxedo, a white shirt underneath and black tie.

"Mira Wynter." I give him one of my usual smile. We shakes hand awkwardly, retreating my hands quickly. His are extremely soft, with long fingers.

"I know, you look even more stunning in person." He seems sincere, but I know he's just bring polite.

"Thank you." I mutter staring down at my shoes, he must thinks I'm a loon now, if he didn't already.

"You ready?" His voice holds no judgment against me, I nod.

"Your leaving. I have a cup cake for both of you." Nadine says rushing from the kitchen towards us.

"Thanks." I tell her when she hands me the one with the pink frosting.

"Thank you." Kobe says politely, he gets the cup cake with the blue frosting.

"Now Mira, don't come back right after the party now, we're in New York, take a look around the place. I'm sure your date wouldn't mind showing you around." She looks at Kobe for approval, he nods his head glancing at me as if he can sense that I don't want to go.