chapter one

COATES ACADEMY'S GREAT HALL is with no doubt the most elegant, beautiful and expensive area of the large school. From its fancy decor and luxurious marble walls, to the beautiful chandeliers and large windows, it's not a surprise that the head master is always very delighted to hold their every social occasions within it to be able to show it off to the community and parents, whose visits are most certainly rare as they've abandoned their children in the arms of unknown so-called professionals that claim able to help them.

Throughout the many years, it has served for various purposes. But none as important and crucial as today's event, which is being hosted by none other than Caine Soren, the most terrifyingly brilliant student of the institution. A cunning, charming young boy with grand ambitions, and a frightening determination to achieve his ruthless dreams of a forever kingdom.

When Ace Austin pushes through the wooden doors, the reunion has already begun at the center of the room. The self-proclaimed king stands tall on the podium, relishing into this moment of power, facing only those who he is sure are strong and capable of facing war and destruction. Those who will remain loyal to him no matter what, those that he shall use until he can dispose of them when they are no longer needed. His words sink deep within the souls and minds of the teenagers intently staring at him, until he loses their devoted attention when her presence is noted.

Yet, all he can do is smile. For he knows who has arrived. With every graceful, careful step that she takes, an arrogant air clings to her like wet on water, like flames on a fire, and she holds her head up high with pride, with superiority, never letting her untouchable facade crumble and fall. Because Ace Austin is an indestructible, indecipherable machine. A mystery waiting to be discovered, solved in the eyes of all, even those closest to her.

As she stops to stand next to her fraternal brother, a certain blonde boy fixes her. His dark orbs never leave her figure, as if he was protecting her from a distance: not too close, yet not too far, either. But he, better than anyone else, knows best that she is the last person in need of protection or guarding. She can take care of herself perfectly fine, but that doesn't stop him from watching over her.

With just a simple glance, the sinister boy is capable of doing such great yet terrible things. But when their eyes finally meet, his gaze isn't cold, nor harsh, nor full of its usual boiling hatred and rage. For once, it is rather faintly soft. A small hint of warmth hidden in it. And, in an odd way, it holds comfort. For when his midnight sky collides with her glaucous ice, Ace is brought back to her old home. A place that isn't here, a place where she rightfully belongs.

Her frigid, icy eyes are everything he once believed (or convinced himself) he never wanted, but also everything he found himself falling for. And even the constant denials of the broken remains of his heart and deranged mind could not control his whirling emotions for her. And thus, slowly, the sadistic boy grew fond of the cunning and obstinate girl that had taken a particular liking at playing wicked mind games with him. Ones he always seemed to lose.

And as he drowns himself in the depth of her captivating, powerful stare, memories start to play and he can't help but remember the day they first officially met. She had left him completely taken aback and offended, back then. Whilst a part of him had been sucked right into her intoxicating, addictive aura, the other wanted to seek revenge for the simplest of things. Yet the latter, which was as natural for him as breathing, was slowly slipping away from him as he found a new source of oxygen. His mind was set on obtaining a taste of her poisonous attention, which she seemed keen and determined to deny him of.