Chapter four-Most Beautiful Things

Crilly’s P.O.V

*The following week*

How did I get so lucky? Evelyn allowed me in to her dark secluded past, and I helped her realise that not all guys are complete douchebags. She’s never been better, according to Andy, constantly smiling and having fun. She’s been talking to everyone about herself a lot more, which is making me happy. She’s finally in a good place. We’re in Sacramento right now and it’s bloody boiling. I’m just sat in my jeans, sweating my ass off and trying to write a song for Evelyn. But, for the first time, I’m struggling to find the words to describe how I feel. Everyone apart from me and Evelyn had gone surfing. Evelyn was still sleeping so I’d stayed behind with her. Or, I thought she was asleep. I’d long since given up on the song, my notebook safely tucked away in its hiding place, and was staring up at the ceiling. I felt a pair of arms that were unmistakably Evelyn’s wrap around my waist and I looked down to see her smiling up at me. Just like every time she smiled at me, my heart squeezed, as if to say ‘she’s got you…Hook, line and sinker’. And she did. I noticed she was wearing a bikini top and board shorts, meaning only one thing. I was finally going to see the champ surf.

“We can’t go yet Evelyn.” Her face dropped.

“Why not?” God, those puppy dog eyes are going to be the death of me.

“I need to get into my board shorts Evvie. I can’t exactly surf in jeans now can I?” She looked down at my body, making me blush. I wasn’t the most body conscious person on the planet, but she just affected me so much.

“Kay then. Go get ready then.” She pulled me up by my belt loops; my hips flush with hers, leaned in…and then walked away. Fucking tease.

***

Evelyn’s P.O.V (As much fun as Crilly’s P.O.V is, dammit if it isn’t tiring)

I waited as Crilly changed out of his jeans into his board shorts. And I’d be lying if I said I didn’t like the sight I was greeted with when I woke up this morning. I mean, what girl doesn’t enjoy seeing her boyfriend topless? Speaking of which, here he comes now. And…damn. Stop it Adam, you’re not allowed to be that good looking!

“Hey babe.” Hnnnnng. Feels, so many feels. I’m a sucker for pet names. I smiled and grabbed his hand, dragging him towards the beach.

“Hey Adam. The others have our boards so I’m going straight in when we get there.” As much I loved spending time with him, Crilly still couldn’t compete with the thrill of board sports. I mean, I did other sports (hello gymnast and dancer!) but board sports? Ultimate thrill.

***

I was sat further out than the other surfers, being a pro surfer means I can get the bigger waves that start further out. My hands were laying on the surface of the water, my eyes closed. I could feel everyone’s eyes on me, whether they were in the water or not. Great, crowds. I felt the ripple that meant a big wave was gathering. I snapped my eyes open and paddled towards where the crest of the wave would appear. As I started to raise I brought myself into my stance. The wave got quicker and I bent my knees to gather more speed. And, I’m off! I curled my board round and snapped the front over the top of the wave, a basic manoeuvre for turning around. I popped the board on to the top of the wave and dropped back through on the opposite edge. I saw the unmistakable curve of a barrel wave and bobbed down, catching my dream for the first time in months. I appeared out the other end of the barrel to loud cheers and clapping. I pointed to the sky and rolled my head back, flopping backwards into the water. I allowed my board to pull me back into shore, where Andy gathered me up in a good old fashioned bear hug.