t w o

JOSH STANDS outside the fading blue door to his and Melanie's shared apartment. 

"Um, I know I should've listened to you. He didn't show up." Josh gulps, thinking about how he should face her. "But uh - " 

The door opens and there stands the two-color haired girl in his over-sized tee that ended mid-thigh, her arms crossed over her chest. 

"H-Hi." Josh grins sheepishly and Melanie sighs, stepping aside for him to enter. 

"Where were you?" 

"The cafe, of course." Josh says, slipping out of his Vans. 

Melanie raises an eyebrow at this. "He showed up?" Without giving Josh a moment to explain she starts apologizing, "God, I'm so sorry Josh. I should've just supported you instead of feeding you all that bullshit. Well, he's a dick but I guess for you he -" 

"Mel, Mel, Mel." Josh interrupts, "Let me explain." 

Melanie tilts her head to the side, following Josh to the living room with a confused expression on her face. "Explain what? "

Josh plops on the couch, Melanie mirroring his actions.

"Jake didn't show up." He says after a moment of silence. 

"What the - Where were you then?" Melanie asks. 

"Um, well, you see," Josh feels his cheeks heat up as an image of Tyler's smiling face pops into his head.  It didn't go unnoticed by Melanie. 

"Josh? Your face is red. . you okay?" 

"I . . I met someone else." Josh says, and Melanie's mouth forms an 'o'. 

"Uh, okay. But who?" 

"His name is Tyler and, "Josh goes on to explain everything to her, from the very first minute he stepped into the cafe to the end. " . . and well, that's about it." He ends, running a hand through his black hair. 

It's quiet for sometime, and Josh can't comprehend how Melanie would possibly react. 

He breaths a sigh of relief when Melanie squeals, "Awww. Joshy is in love." 

Josh  jerks back at her, shaking his head, "I'm not. Where did you get that from, Mel?" He shakes his head yet again, "I've met him once, once. That's ridiculous." He can't deny the fact that he was furiously blushing as he may or may not feel a bit of something for the brown haired male. 

But Josh was stubborn. 

Melanie smirks, "Josh, I've known you for years. I can tell when you're lying, alright?" 

"But I'm not." Josh lamely states, making Melanie roll her eyes. 

"Josh, dear, your face is red and you have that stupid smile on your face." Melanie says and he buries his face in his hands. 

"I . . I don't know, really. I probably won't even see him again." Josh smiles sadly, Melanie rubs his back soothingly. 

"You never know." Melanie says, before adding, "Oh, and Josh?" 

"yeah?" He looks up. 

"I applied for a job. I have an interview tomorrow." She says, leaning her head on Josh's shoulder. 

"Oh? Want  me to come with you?" He offers, resting his head over hers. Most would consider this romantic but their relationship was purely platonic, and they had established that long ago. Josh was thankful he met someone as supporting and understanding as Melanie, something his parents horribly failed at. 

"Sure. I mean, I'm really nervous. It's a huge company and if I get this job, we don't have to worry about the rent." Melanie sighs. 

"I'm sorry I can't help you. I-I tried out for a job earlier this week, but they said I was too shy and didn't - " 

"Oh, shush." Melanie cuts off his rambling, but Josh can't help the guilt of making Melanie handle their financial situation from seeping into his heart. "You don't have to." 

"But - " 

"You're shy. You get uncomfortable around new people, and I don't want you doing something you're not comfortable with, okay?" Melanie says and Josh nods, staring at the ceiling. 

"Yeah." He mumbles softly. "Where are you working again?" 

"Something called Joseph Enterprises. A fifteen-minute drive from here, twenty at most." A yawn escapes Melanie's lips, making Josh realize how sleepy he is as well, "The interview's at nine, by the way." 

Josh hums and feels his eyes begin to droop. The last thing he hears is a faint 'goodnight' before he drifts off to sleep. 

***