Chapter 3

Charlie's P.O.V.

Ricky and I got in my truck and drove off. He seemed really quiet. He was only quiet when he was mad or upset. I had a feeling it was something I did. "Are you ok, Ricky?"

"So, now that you know where he is, are you going to leave?" He glanced at me.

"No, I don't want to leave. I even told him that. You know I still love him, but..." I stopped mid sentence. I couldn't say what I wanted to.

"But what?"

"I can't do that to you, Ricky. Not again."

He pulled over. I looked at him I could only see his face where the moon light hit. He reached his hand over and cupped my face. He got really close to me and whispered. "I love you, Charlie. It's ok if you don't feel the same. I just had to tell you." He closed his eyes and leaned in and kissed me. For some reason, it didn't feel right. I didn't feel like he should be the one I was kissing. I didn't feel a spark.

"What's wrong?" He knew something was up.

"It's nothing." I didn't want him to know.

"You sure?" I nodded. That was one thing I loved about him. He didn't press questions on me. If I didn't want to talk he would wait until I did.

He put the truck back in drive and continued down the road. I thought about everything in the few minutes it took to get back to grandmas. What was I going to do? I care for both of them. I can't hurt them.

After we pulled into the driveway, I got out and immediately went to my room. A few moments later, Ricky knocked and slowly opened my door.

"Can we talk?" He raises his brows as he speaks.

"Sure," I say barely above a whisper. I felt like I was on the verge of tears.

He sits on the edge of the bed, a sincere look on his face. "Look, I know you've spent all this time trying and failing to get over him. I understand if you want him. I want you to be happy, and I've never seen you more happy than when you're with Scotty. I don't want you to feel obligated to stay with me."

"I can't do that to you. You been there every moment. I don't know where I would be without you guys." A tear falls down my cheek.

He wipes my tears away before speaking. "You would be exactly where you are now. You are a strong, independent woman. I love you for that. I'm sorry I blurted that out earlier, but I just wanted you to know. I'll never stop loving you. You never forget your first love."

"Thanks, Ricky." I moved closer to him, pulling him into a hug. He pulled away and looked into my eyes. He leaned his forehead onto my own. I closed my eyes as I felt his lips press into mine. Again, there was nothing. No sparks or tingles or that burst of love I remember feeling every time I kissed Scott.

~The next morning~

"Wake up, sleepyhead." I shook Ricky's shoulder. "Come on. You've got to get up. It's almost 11."

Ricky rolled over in his twin sized bed and squinted his eyes at me. "My head is pounding." He rubbed his index fingers over his temples.

"Did you drink too much last night?"

He chuckled. "I only had one beer, babe."

"Lets go get some food and see if that helps." I smiled at him sweetly.

"You ok? You're never happy in the morning." Ricky gave me a confused look.