Chapter 2: Edward

Chapter 2: Edward

"Stop fidgeting Edward!" My mom said. She has been like this since yesterday. She's been hovering over me and watching over my every move. I really didn't want to go back to the Philippines.

"Mom, do I really have to?" I asked while folding my clothes and placing them in my luggage. I recently received a Star Wars themed luggage and have been wanting to use it.

"Hoy, Edward John Barber. Anong do I have to, do I have to?" She shouted while looking at my closet.

"You asked for this when you joined PBB five years ago. Sayang naman kung di ka babalik. Akala ko ba you enjoyed your showbiz career?" She said as she handed me my boxers.

"Sayang din yung pagod ko nun anak! Tsaka di mo ba namimiss mga friends mo dun? Simula nung bumalik tayo dito, parang iniwasan mo lahat ng friends mo. May nangyari ba?" She continued to probe.

Honestly, I miss my friends. I miss one more than the others. But I can't really admit that. I left without a proper goodbye.

"Mom. Syempre. I miss them. I just really wanted to study first." I said but not really looking at her.

"Pero, iho. You can study in the Philippines if you really wanted to. I know you've been sad since we got back. Yun lang ba talaga ang reason?"

She sat beside me and placed an arm over my shoulders.

"Just say the word. We'll support you 100%." She said.

"Thanks mom. That means a lot. Pero yun lang yun" I hugged her.

My sister then entered the room. "Hey, hey! Are we having a hugging party today?" Laura said and then joined our group hug.

"I'll miss you loads. Both of you!" She exclaimed and then stood up.

"You're just happy you'll get the house all to yourself!" I laughed.

"I know you'll miss me, little brother. Just say it." She poked my side.

My dad then entered the room and joined my mom in one corner. They watched us for a couple of minutes.

"Children. We need to leave. We need to be at the airport 2 hours before your flight." My dad said.

"Will you be joining us soon?" I asked him while closing my luggage.

"In a couple of months. We just need to take care of all the papers here and then we'll fly to Manila." He answered.

We checked our stuff one last time. I had 3 luggage in total. 1 was reserved for all the gifts they have for Maymay. My family grew really close to her for the last five years. I know they blame me because she stopped reaching out to us when we left last year.

It probably was my fault. I started to avoid her. She was actually growing on me. But I was so scared of what these feelings could mean. I'm not sure of what I'm feeling myself. I know I have hurt her with my leaving without a word. But I had to do it. I knew she was falling for someone else.

We finally arrived in Manila. I got an email invite for a meeting this afternoon. I got nervous. I fell off the grid when I left last year. I only got in touch with Marco. He went back to Italy years ago but never failed to contact me every now and then.

"Edward, let's go. Nakatulala ka na naman dyan!" My mom told me as she dragged me to the pick-up area.

It would take us 2 hours to get to the office. I'm feeling really apprehensive. I don't know if they'll welcome me like they used to. My life has changed since I joined PBB. A lot of doors opened and I was swept into the showbiz industry. I loved every minute of it. The glitz, the glamour and the love we get from the fans are amazing. I just needed time to step back. There was a time I could no longer distinguish which was real and which was for show.

When we entered the compound, I saw Marco was standing by the entrance. This made me excited.

"Marco! Bro!"

"Bro! Welcome back!" Marco said as he hugged me.

"Tagal na natin di nakita! When did you get back?" He added.

"Kanina lang kami nakarating iho. Gumagwapo ka ata?" My mom said.

"Thanks tita. Kayo -"

"Hey!! I'm your son! You never tell me na gumagwapo ako!" I teased my mom. We all laughed.

Suddenly our attention was called by one of the PBB staff present.

"Hi Edward, Marco! I'm Rogie. I emailed you about this meeting. Kindly proceed to the 3rd floor boardroom. Everyone's already there. Thanks!" He gestured towards the elevator.

"Edward, I'll go ahead. Don't forget to message me when you're done and when you're on your way home ha?" My mom said as she hugged me goodbye.

"Yes po. See you later!"

"Excited ka na bro?" Marco asked.

"Konti lang. It's been so long. I'm a bit nervous." I confessed.

"Ikaw kasi! Bigla na lang umalis. Tsk tsk. Tara na nga! You might runaway again." He laughed.

Runaway? Grabe sya. Now, I truly am nervous.

When the door opened to the boardroom, I looked at those inside. I zoomed in to Maymay. She was speaking with Nikko. What are they laughing at? Then she looked over at me. Time slowed and my breathing hastened.

Wow. She looked beautiful. This was not how she looked five years ago. She has always been beautiful, inside and out. But seeing her now, left me breathless.

She looked away. Nako. She caught me staring. I looked at Ate Gretchen and Direk Lauren instead.

"So welcome back, Everyone! We have a big announcement. As you may know. It's high time that another PBB season starts." Ate Gretchen said.

"But as you can see. We did not hold any auditions this year." Direk Lauren added.

"The theme for this year will be PBB The Reunion."

"Ano?" I asked.

"What?" Maymay asked at the same time.