Chapter 11

As the long black column advanced ever closer, I could feel the nervous tension in the air. So could Erik, who's tail was now between his legs. Even I was finding a little fear within myself. Not about the battle, but about Charlie, the name I now affectionately refer to Carolus by. I have had no word on his condition. It did not matter now. I pushed those sentiments deeper and crested the hill. Before me Cambria burned. The screams were long gone, but the fires remained a blaze, shining a crimson matching that of the sun behind us. The enemy had not occupied the defenses, not even prepared for an attack. Instead the walls were smashed to rubble, leaving dust to mingle with the blood and the ashes and the flames. The wind shifted directions, and the smell of burnt corpses filled the air. This was a massacre. "Send five legions left and the other five right. Form the pincer position. Prepare to surround them and gather the artillery." I quickly barked out my orders as the catapults and other siege weapons rolled to the front. The men formed a curved line along the hilltop, extending like a dark veil in the afternoon sun. The plan was simple, a sweeping charge, spearheaded by the cavalry, that would surround  and eliminate our foe. I sent Michael to the sky and mounted Charlemagne, with Erik following behind. I took my position at the front of the cavalry column and waited. I shouted quickly" Draw Arms!". Like lighting the order rained down, until the entire army had swords drawn and shields raised. I drew Deus and muttered a prayer. "Fire siege weapons at will. Fire for effect. Cease fire upon charge." The catapults let loose with a tremendous noise, fire pouring down upon the city, burning all in its path as we prepared to charge.