Chapter 6

I stood silently at my post, watching the great doors open. Footsteps echoed throughout the throne room as a figure slowly made its way to the doorway. Cast into light was the face, not of an old man as one would expect, but of a middle aged adult. The Emperor. King. He prefers the former. His smile calms the room, which by now is filled with advisors and staff alike. He approached the throne as the whole room bowed. I kneeled and bowed my head as he approached. He slowly sat down in the throne and sighed heavily. We rose and I stood my place behind him. Councilors, advisors, servants, and commoners came in went in the hour I stood. Finally, when the crowd had stalled, he called for me. "Azrael, I wish to speak with you.". I did not speak, but instead kneeled before the front of the throne. "Come, you know you need not handle yourself with such formalities.", he said in his regal tone. His voice was unlike that of a monarch. It was soft. High pitch. Quiet. Shy. I think that's why the people love him. He cares for his people. I rose and looked him square in the eye. The chiseled face of a ruler stared back. He looked very young for his age. Black hair draped across his brow, and a mustache traced along his upper lip. He was like a sculpture. A man turned from stone to flesh. "Yes, my lord?" I replied quickly. "I will not require your presence today. I'm giving you leave for the day. Just make sure you stop in the grand hall first. A matter needs your attention. Dismissed.". I quickly retorted,"Yes sir.". I made my way back down the stairs and into to the great hall. Looking quizzically, I did not see anything I would have been sent for. Then, quietly from the back of the room, came a quiet voice. "Sir?". I looked quickly in the direction and saw a boy, no younger then 12. "May I help you young lad?","Yes sire. I have been appointed as your squire.", replied the boy. This was news to me. I had no knowledge of getting a squire. Nor did I want one. But I suppose I need one. Someone needs to learn how combat is to be dealt with. I asked," What is your name boy?","Charles", "No, I meant your true name. Your Latin name."," Carolus ,  Carolus Rex sir.", he retorted.(See what I did there?) I ordered him to wait for me at the gates and stepped out to he city, looking for Camilla. As usual, I found her in the tavern, reading. "Are you open for business Camilla?", I asked inquisitively. "Not today hun, if your looking for a fuck, today's not the day." It was obvious that she wasn't in a good mood, but I didn't want to disturb her further. I stepped back out of the tavern and into the afternoon sun. I strolled down the cobblestone streets towards the gate, where I saw the boy waiting. "Go fetch my horse and animals." I demanded, quite coldly if I do say so myself. He returned shortly with Charlemange and Erik following in toe. I whistled and Michael shot down from the sky, resuming his perch on my shoulder. I mounted up, saluting the legionary as I lifted Carolus on to the saddle behind me. As rode out I asked," Why did you decide to be a squire, not a blacksmith or tradesman?". " After the Winter War, I was transfixed with becoming a knight. I wanted to learn all I could about combat and chivalry and knighthood. But I didn't expect to be learning from The Knight!", " The Knight?" , "Yes sir. Your known throughout out the city as The prodigal knight, the hero of the people". This surprised me. I'd didn't know I was so highly thought of." I'm not a hero. But you will be learning all I know. Starting today. And I know quite a bit so be prepared. Also, your a colt, not a squire, for you must be broken in. I will teach you. But you must listen.", "Yes sir", he replied quietly. The rest of the trip was quiet, until I saw the walls of my manor appear amongst the tree line.