2

Yes, she remembered all too well that those few Italian days would be over soon as the next day she was expected in Los Angeles, where she would have to deal with the last  minute details for the launch of the new site, one of the most demanding and stressful things she had ever done in her life.

And yes, she also remembered the classic pre-departure argument she had last night with her boyfriend and their usual highly strung bags of nerves, long faces and bickering. The truth was that they hadn't learned yet how to manage a long-distance relationship, where the distance in question had increased to about six thousand milesand an eight-hour time difference, and Fede must have left early, while she slept, as he used to do when he was hurt and mad with her. And yet, knowing she had a whole day at her disposal in a city she loved, the idea that her mother and sisters would arrive shortly to head off together to relax at the hotel spa filled her with joy and banished all her negative thoughts.  

Alone again in the room, she pushed the trolly to the window to enjoy the amazing view in peace. The impressive architecture of the Duomo always took her breath away, but what caught her attention at that moment was the snow that still clung to the spires following the dusting two days earlier, like icing sugar on a pandoro cake.

When she was a child at Christmas, being the oldest sister, it was her privilege to sprinkle the contents of the icing sugar sachet onto her favourite cake, then close the cellophane around it and shake it so that the sugar covered the whole surface of the pandoro. Francesca and Valentina protested every year, but only for as long as it took their dad to remove the cake from the bag and cut it, compensating them for the injustice of being the youngest in the house with two mighty slices of pandoro. 

*******

*******

Hey squad! Did you ever taste a pandoro cake? Please, let me know if you liked it

Hey squad! Did you ever taste a pandoro cake? Please, let me know if you liked it... and if you like the second chapter. :-)