Chapter One

Author's Note:

You are about to enter a journey of love, romance, jealously, passion and every drama in between. Welcome to the lives of Dorothy, James, and Richard.

But guys, also support my latest novel, Twisted Desire, which is even more romantic and passionate than The Marriage Contract. It's on my page, so remember to add it to your library, vote and comment.

Lots of love,

Tara

*****************************

My best friend, April, once told me that love at first sight is the moment when two hearts meet, and in that moment, they just know they're meant to be. It's rare, she said, but happens all around the world, and to the most unsuspecting people.

But as I stood against the wall of the fifteenth floor of Hotel Bellevue, my palms gripped over the handle of the towel trolley, my maid's uniform wrinkled at the knees, my eyes met his. It was that moment, that I knew I'd fallen, but it was not "love" that I'd drowned under. It was something else- something unpleasant, as though I'd drank spoiled milk, with the scent of tangy expiration lingering in my throat.

The silver lights on the ceiling of the hallway, glowed, as though making way for the tall, graceful man. His dark hair, like that of a raven's back, swept over his wide forehead, as two large eyes, cloaked with thick lashes, stared at the girl slinked under his veined, thick, porcelain arm. His lips, I noticed, were speared with a dash of red, and as I stared at the supermodel like woman dangling against his side, I knew the color of blood must have come from her mouth to his. He whispered a sinful something against her neck, to which she giggled mischievously, sucking at the lobe of his ear, not caring who would watch.

And he, dressed in designer rags, the white silk of his long sleeve top shining under the gossamer lights, stopped for a moment. The woman looked almost surprised- her thick brunette locks swept over her chest, parted between breasts much too large to look real against her pencil thin frame.

"You're so beautiful," he whispered, his curved, full mouth against her neck.

The scent of lavender swept under my nostrils, and I wondered whether such a sweet fragrance came from her or him.

She giggled in response, her light pink maxi dress flowing over his sleek black trousers, her stomach pressed against his.

"Not here," she said. "The maid's here. She's been staring at us this entire time. I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm that kind of girl-"

His hand pressed against her back a bit tighter, and she gasped, unable to contain her faded red smile.

"She's just a maid," he said. "They can stare at us all they want. She envies you, darling. That's all the poor can do-"

I cleared my throat, my chest burning at his insult, as his eyes turned towards me.

It was then that I knew I had fallen in dislike with this stranger. I didn't care that he was rich, or stared at me with a look of pity in his golden brown eyes. I disliked him because all he would ever see me, or anyone of my financial status, was that of pity.

"Have you enjoyed the show?" he asked, releasing his hands from the supermodel.

He stuffed his hands within the pockets of his trousers, and gave me, what I presumed he thought to be a devilish smile.

He looked like a smiling hyena to me. I had so much I wanted to say to him then. Something like, "you arrogant, egotistical, maniac. I would never envy a piece of dirt such as you!"

But instead, I kept my poker face, and said, "Excuse me sir. I have to clean this room. If you could kindly step away from the door, I would highly appreciate it."