Chapter 3: The Ball

Chapter 3:

The Ball:

I stood in front of the mirror looking at my reflection.

I had put on a pale pink sleeveless gown, body hugging and with soft folds on the top which gave it a wrapped up look. Below the waist-line it started to flow out slightly in a slanting manner. My dark brown hair was done up in a French bun with a small puff in the front. I put on a pair of platinum earrings and a matching bracelet and smiled at my image.

My attire was simple, not overdone in anyway.

After all, simplicity was elegance.

Just as I was putting the last touch of makeup I heard my doorbell go off. That must be Brian; I thought and made my way towards the door of my house.

I opened the door and gasped in shock.

Brian looked hot!

He was wearing a fitting pale blue shirt that accentuated every muscle of his body. His black suit made him look like a male model. He looked…..just perfect. His outfit radiated an aura of royalty. I kept staring at him. Even in my wildest dreams he had never appeared so good.

“Ahem-ahem,” he cleared his throat.

“What?” I asked, embarrassed.

“What are you staring at gorgeous?” he raised his eyebrows.

“What do you think? Let’s go, we are getting late,” I said changing the subject. I was still red at being caught staring at him.

“Yup, let’s go girlfriend,” Brian laughed.

I rolled my eyes at him stepping out of the house and locking the door. We walked over to his car and he pulled open the passenger door waiting for me to get in.

“You are being exceptionally gentlemanly today, don’t you think?” I smiled slyly at him.

“What?” he faked shock, “you don’t think I am a gentleman?”

“Nope” I laughed popping the ‘p’.

He put his hand on his chest, right at his heart, “ouch! That hurt,”

“Yeah, definitely,” I laughed.

“Well, I can’t help it right? Anyways, jokes apart, what is it you plan to do at the ball?” he asked turning serious.

I pretended to be thinking, “Stop the deal from being finalized?”

“I understand that, but how?” Brian asked.

“Let’s see what the situation demands,” I said with finality in my voice.

The rest of the drive was silent, none of us spoke. We were both anticipating what would happen when we got there. Would we be successful this time around or not?

“We are there,” Brian said, pulling me out of my thoughts.

We walked over to the hall. The auction was just starting.

“Welcome,” said the man at the door, asking for our jackets. I handed my coat to him and entered looking around. The place was filled with men in tuxedos and women wearing formal gowns. The elite of the town. Soft music drifted around from the stage where the musicians sat playing. The whole event had a formal feeling.

 Not my cup of tea at all.

“Hey?”

I turned around at the sound of the voice. Kyle stood behind me smiling.