Chapter 12

Dan's POV

I woke up the next morning to look over to the seats seeing the boy sitting there. I couldn't stop staring at him.

The sun brightened his face perfectly, showing off his deep outstanding features such as his cheekbones, adam's apple, and general face shape.

I saw him shift, then stretch and yawn. He sits up, looking at me.

"Hi," he says, but I continue to stare. I feel like I'm lost exploring his body with my eyes.

"Is everything ok?" And I nod snapping out of it now.

Suddenly in walks two older people, the people who said they are my parents yesterday.

"Phil, would you mind us talking to Dan for a second?" The lady asks the boy.

Phil.

That was his name. I forgot it almost immediately after he told me yesterday.

He nods and leaves the room and the lady makes her way towards me.

"Dan, honey? Listen, your father and I think it's best for you if we maybe left this place? You know? I know I said this was the last time we'd move for a while, but you probably don't even remember me saying that, do you?" She asks worry in her expression. I shake my head no.

"Just get a fresh start. Ok? So the doctor said you'll be able to move by later this week so we'll get on the move then," they say leaving my room.

I hear them explaining to Phil through the door, and hear the lady comfort him as he sobs loudly.

I sign.

I guess this will be good. A new start.

*time skip to the next day*

"Mr. Howell, we'd like to get you up and see how your mobility is," the nurse says as she readies me to stand.

I push myself to the end of the bed, instantly feeling dizzy, my head feels like a huge weight to carry.

I push myself too my feet. The ground is cold. I try walking but I constantly keep shaking, almost losing balance. The nurse and Phil help me to before I fall.

The rest of the week goes by pretty fast. They keep helping me walk, until they finally say I'm ready to go.

~~~

I head to the bathroom and put on a change of clothes. It's cold and raining today, but all I have is a pair of grey sweatpants and a thin short sleeved black shirt. I take off the hospital gown, and get dressed slowly, as my body aches and I only have access to my one arm. I stop when I see scars all along my left arm.

Have I done this before? I knew what happened right before I passed out, but I can't remember anything before. I still felt the same as I always did about myself. I stood and looked in the mirror.

"What have you done," I ask myself my voice raspy. I haven't spoken to anyone since I last responded to Phil.

Phil.

What's going to happen to him? I'm leaving today, and he's staying here. I hate this. Why can't I remember him. Everytime I look at him it's like he's the missing piece of the puzzle. As if I were able to remember him, I'd be able to remember everything. But my mind goes blank. I feel like I'm missing something, is he that something?

I walk out of the bathroom and go to the room I've been spending most of my time in. I see Phil there, and he looks anxious. When he sees me he smiles. I smile back and continue shaking in the coldness of the room. He takes off his sweater and hands it to me.

"Your cold," he says and helps me put it on. It's blue and says 'pugs not drugs' on it, to which I smile at. It hangs on my small body, but makes me feel warm. I can smell Phil on it and I feel better.