Chapter 29: Confrontation

February, 2020

Unnamed Pacific Island

"Mothra...Mothra."

Kiryu's voice stirs the resting insect from her daze, she looks up at the mech, her eyes tired and sad, but far from defeated. A small flame flickers behind them now, one Kiryu had never seen before.

"...Goji, sorry," she shakes her head, casting aside the lingering stupor. "What is it?"

"Solomon wanted something, he's waiting on the other island."

Mothra nods, taking a deep breath and standing. She takes off from the irradiated island and flies toward Anguirus and Rodan's home with Kiryu swimming close behind. When they arrive, Solomon is already waiting alongside the two Kaiju.

"Alright," Solomon sighs, "Mothra, I–"

"It isn't important Solomon," she interrupts, "grief and sorrow can wait until this is over."

"Yes...of course, then I'll get right to the point." He takes on a stern, military-like voice, "we've run out of options. Red is starting fires faster than we can put them out. We're fighting a war of attrition that we can't win. I was hoping Rodan and Anguirus could find the Saint while we stalled for time, but...Battra's death proves we can't continue operating this way. We have to confront Red."

"We can't win," Kiryu replies, "you've said so yourself."

"I know, but we aren't winning by avoiding him either. Our present course is unsustainable, for us, for humanity, for life."

"So we attack?" Rodan asks.

"Yes. Last time I fought him, Acacius's psychic abilities crippled him and allowed me to attack without restraint. When he was sufficiently weak in both mind and body, Acacius was able to bind him to the earth, imprisoning him deep below the surface. Mothra, your species is the oldest of all MUTOs–sparing Red himself. Acacius's psychic abilities run strong in you. Unfortunately, you are still markedly weaker than Red. But, your ability is the best chance we have. If you can hold him long enough for me to attack, we might have a chance. As for the binding..."

"I do not possess such an ability," Mothra replies, "but I can tear a hole into another dimension and send him through, as I once did with my brother. Though I will not have the stamina to do so after a prolonged mental battle, you will need to weaken him quickly."

"Sending him away won't work forever, but it will grant us temporary peace, and buy us time to find Acacius." He takes a deep breath, his face hardens and his mouth curves into a wicked smirk, "let's kick some ass."

"As for me?" Kiryu asks.

"You're on offense with me, once Mothra has him pinned don't let up, we need to end it fast so she can banish him."

"And us?" Anguirus asks.

"You two stay here," Mothra replies.

"Huh?" Rodan squawks, "but we can help!"

"She's right," Solomon says, "you can't come. As much as the help might be appreciated, your bodies can't survive in the ash cloud, you'll choke to death before we even reach Red."

Rodan seems to be searching for a way to protest, but quickly gives in, staring at the ground dejectedly.

"Hold down the fort until we come back," Kiryu says.

Anguirus nods, "good luck."

"Alright, let's move out," Solomon shouts.

He and Mothra take to the sky and Kiryu takes a step back into the sea. Suddenly Mothra stops, she turns her head to the north. Kiryu and Solomon look back at her.