Engaged in Torment

Shirayuki looked over the wound, carefully and then she relaxed.

Swethyna entered the tent and sat next to Miko on the bed. "How is she?"

Shirayuki stroked Mikos' cheek. "The wound is healing, or I should say is responding well. Her body seems to be frozen in time. It isn't actually improving nor is it getting infected or worse. Nothing is happening."

"I thought so. But given the treatments, she will recover when she wakes, is that correct?"

"I believe so." Shirayuki slid down to her knees, resting her head next to Miko's on the bed. "Swethyna, I want to know about who we were in this world. I can't help but wonder. If being a product of true love is all that is required... then how come there aren't more of them out there?"

"Marriage laws were in place."

"But if that is true, then how is it that Zen and I were able to marry in this world. I would have been a commoner."

"Prince Zen was betrothed to another. The prince wasn't above this law." Swethyna made herself more comfortable. "Alright. I will tell you what I know."

Shirayuki sat up straight and awaited Swethyna's information anxiously.

"This world wasn't always a land of peace either... There were people who wielded magic for selfish purposes and their hearts became black as night. Even back then, love was not very common in the world of status. The king was furious that he was not born with light magic, but he wasn't going to allow the darkness inside of him. He was a well respected king but wasn't able to protect his own people against the darkness. The darkness in people caused them to rise up and they were going to take the kingdom by force. One man had been raised with the light magic within him, born of true love. He used it to overthrow the dark forces of our world. But something in him snapped when he was rejected the princess in marriage because of his status. The darkness consumed him and then he took the princess and defiled her. The king had his armies attack him. Once he was dead, the king made a decree that there was no magic, light nor dark. Anyone who was guilty of it, was put to death. Laws were put in place to prevent love from existing, if it had, by arranging their marriages from the time they were infants. Prince Zen was betrothed to Ezria Lamota. Princess Shirayuki, I would assume, was also betrothed. She was forced to flee from Tanbarun. When she came into Clarines to seek refuge, she had encountered Prince Zen and chose to work as an..."

"Herbalist."

"Yes. Prince Zen fell for her. Prince Izana knew by law that their love couldn't be tolerated, so he did what he had to. Prince Izana ordered Shirayuki to be married to the Prince of Taurialle, for an alliance to be made. It appeared that their prince was not concerned that she was a commoner. He was taken with her, at first sight. Prince Zen got wind of it and immediately abducted Shirayuki before the ceremony. He made an enemy out of Taurialle and defied the elder prince's orders. Prince Zen had experienced something that couldn't be explained and he wasn't ready to give it up. Love has a magic of its own, that can't be explained. Ezria mysteriously became ill and then she died. Everyone thought that it was the prince who killed her, or Shirayuki, so that Prince Zen would be free to marry who he choses. Prince Zen took it as a threat to Shirayuki's life. A war came to Clarines, and Tanbarun headed the battlefront alongside with Clarines. Shirayuki was presented an opportunity to save Prince Raj's life and in that, she was honored with a title. At that moment, she became eligible to marry Prince Zen. Prince Izana couldn't refuse it any longer, after seeing what power their love held."

"Now it all makes sense... Miko was born of that love. It sounds like love in this world is far purer and holds more power. Could it be an illusion? Love is a fantasy, so it would feel more powerful when it actually occurs?"