Chapter 5

"Wait, so this place has been here, like in existence right outside this town, for how long?"

Matthew tried to keep in his laughter as he prepared to explain for the third time.

"Around twenty years. Roma- our leader, I told you about him- he and a group of winged folk from a different clan founded it together, and we've been there ever since. It's called Flight's End in honor of the long, terrible journey they took to find a new home."

Gilbert frowned. "But why'd they leave their old home then? Spare the trouble of such a big trip." Here, Matthew had to grimace.

"Their old home was destroyed. Humans found out about it, I'm not really sure how. But anyway, it was this huge thing where a bunch of them came in and killed a lot of people. We don't really talk much about it at home, so I don't have a lot of information, but I know that Roma's wife, son, and daughter-in-law were all killed in the fighting. He took his grandsons with him and raised them ever since."

A stunned expression took over Gilbert's features. "...yikes." His expression morphed and he stood up angrily. "Why would they do that?! Humans suck, ugh I hate humans! They're so not awesome." He huffed and sat back down. "Well, I mean aside from me. But I'm guessing that that's why he doesn't like us very much, right?"

Matthew nodded. "It's a general rule not to be discovered, because everything will turn to doom and gloom and all that, but for Roma especially." A prickling sensation told him that his feathers were fluffing up, and the blond considered putting on his recently discarded jacket. He noticed Gilbert's lack of a rebuttal, and looked over at him to find the German staring at him with a somber expression.

"That's why you freaked out, right?" He asked, "Birdie, you know I'd never do that! I swear it, that would be so not awesome and I'd beat the crap out of bad humans!" Matthew smiled and shifted, allowing his feathers to realign.

"Of course I know that, Gil. You're my friend." His smile grew when he said it, and he knew that it was true. Gilbert was his first real friend, as depressing as the fact was.

Matthew continued unfolding the history of his town. He found himself giving even more detailed descriptions, desperate to paint a full picture for Gilbert. He'd never talked this much in his life, and he'd never imagined himself to be capable of it. Talking had always made the blond squirm, but with Gilbert he knew that if he fell silent, there was no risk of being caught awkwardly in the spotlight; the German would simply pick up where he'd left off, or ask a question that provided an inexhaustible answer. Somehow, that helped him more than anything.

By 4:00 am, things were winding down. Gilbert had run out of questions, and both he and Matthew were feeling the effects of their long day. Matthew sighed and leaned against Gilbert, taking advantage of the warm pillow he provided.

"I should get home." Matthew muttered.

He found that he didn't want to go.

"It's the middle of the night," Gilbert noted, "wait until tomorrow. You can crash on the couch if you want."

Matthew briefly entertained the idea, but common sense won out.

"As amazing as that sounds, your brother will be home soon," The Canadian reminded. Gilbert groaned but shifted over, allowing Matthew to grab his jacket off the arm of the couch.

They stood up together, Matthew not bothering to put on his harness. It wasn't like there were many people outside to see him. He stretched carefully to avoid knocking anything over with his wings, folded his belongings over one arm, and made his way tiredly to the door. Goosebumps rose at the kiss of the cool night air.

"Hey, so I'll see you next week?" Gilbert asked hopefully. Matthew hesitated, but at the German's puppydog eyes he relented.

"I'll try my best," he promised. The albino beamed at him, making Matthew instantly feel lighter. It felt so good for someone to look at him like that, to have a person's happiness depend on his presence. Matthew really wanted to stay, but he reluctantly acknowledged that he needed to head home.

Gilbert leaned on the doorway and waved as Matthew walked up to a large tree, selecting a good branch and power flapping up to it. He landed on the limb and shifted slightly, then leaped as far as he could, unfurling his wings.

It was Matthew's turn to grin as he noticed Gilbert watching him with unfettered awe, evident even in the near-morning darkness.

He wheeled away into the darkness much like an owl, heading toward the security of the forest. Matthew slowed once within its confines, expertly avoiding the thick, spidery branches that swayed around him in the breeze. He was thankful that his increasingly late returns home had given him quite a bit of practice in the treetops at night; hitting a branch here would ground him for sure.

The thought had him easing up a bit. Matthew winged upward and soared above the treetops, enjoying the night air. He yawned.

Gradually, Flight's End came into view. Matthew floated downward, landing in a small clearing. Wings folded, he sneaked to his cabin and carefully opened the door, cringing when it creaked loudly.

He made his way up the stairs, padding down the hall to his room. Upon entering, he was greeted by the sound of snoring.

Matthew froze, creeping up to the bed. He sighed upon recognizing the mop of gray hair poking out from under the covers. Emil. He and Wang had probably been hanging out or something and he had decided to crash for the night rather than make the trek back across the clearing. Matthew shrugged to himself; there was no sense waking up the sleeping boy.

The fatigued angel ended up on the couch, tugging a worn quilt around his legs. He rolled onto his stomach and arranged himself so that his wings created a shelter better than any down comforter.

Matthew fluffed his feathers and snuggled down into the couch with a sigh. He went over the day's events in his head, reliving the feeling of relief when Gilbert had accepted him. He smiled slightly.

Drifting off to sleep found Matthew still thinking about the albino man, less a visual image and more a feeling of safety and laughter, and the distinct absence of loneliness.

--------------------------------------------

A/N: I'm so sorry that it's so short, guys. This seemed like the best stopping place and I didn't want to draw out the length. I've been trying to keep up a better pace so it's less boring. Not much else to report, so I love you all and hope that your day is fantabulous!
~LJ