Chapter 6

Two days later Sherlock stumbles twice and nearly falls. The second time I guide him to a nearby bench and sit him down. He has been very quiet this day.

"I can't see out of my right eye, John," he whispers. I can hear a tremor in his voice. "It went away about half an hour ago."

I just nod. "We should go home."

"This case is almost done. Let's finish it." He looks at me, pleading.

"I wish I could stop this," I whisper.

He reaches out and grabs my hand. I grip it tightly. I profoundly do not care if anyone gets the wrong idea.

We finish the case. Sherlock hangs on to me as we climb the stairs to our flat. His balance has gotten alarmingly worse just in the last day.

I sit him down and take his blood pressure. It's high. His pulse is racing. He has a temperature. His pupil response is uneven. He can read the results on my face. I start to get up and he holds me back. "John," he says, and I know what's coming.

"Not yet," I murmur.

"It's time."

I meet his eyes. "Please, Sherlock."

"It's Wednesday, isn't it?"

"Yes."

He sighs. "Friday night, then."

This is the plan. Two days' notice. The first day will be for the people in his life to just happen to drop by to ask him a question or give him something. The second day is for us.

The pills feel very heavy in my pocket.