Death And Sorrows

I've lived a long happy life, yet everything good must come to an end. Sooner or later, I'll have to leave my family for the bliss of death. Whether I like it or not. "Why did it have to be this way?" I ask myself as my cancer grows worse. Yet, I can never find an answer. I reflect back on my life, thinking of how many happy memories I've had, the smiling face of my wife filling me with joy. She had passed on before me, and my life was dull and miserable without her. But, I must continue living for my grand kids. How would they feel, if they lost both their grandma and their grandpa? I must not expose them to too much pain at such a young age, the little ones. I have to stay strong, and keep fighting, for them.

          Of course, my kids don't feel any remorse about my condition. In fact, they want to pull the plug. What have I done to raise them with such hatred? Their minds are filled with greed, their thoughts on money. I still love them with all my heart, the kids I raised with my beautiful wife. But it pains me how they've changed for the worst. Sitting in this hospital bed, contemplating and reflecting, I've learned to forgive. That's the funny thing about dying, it opens your eyes, but that knowledge is wasted once you are gone from this world. 

          All of a sudden, I felt my heart slow. I knew it was my time to go. The sweet serenity waiting for me. I could hear the heart monitor flat line, with the infamous sound. I'm joining you, my wife. I could see the light. My vision blackened, and I felt my thoughts blur and twist. Peace filled my soul, as I escaped the jail cell of my body. Goodbye, my cruel beautiful world.