Chapter 3

I felt the room get hotter and hotter as more people entered the little area. Even though we were here for the orientation for the PSE (Presidential School of Excellency,) “the man” couldn't get all hundreds of us in a bigger room. Instead, all one hundred of us kids and our accompanying parents were crammed in a little botanical garden gallery. Unfortunately, Mom, Dad and I had to trek all the way to Washington, D.C. National Park, so my mom and I had to listen to the constant rambling of Dad and his golden days... but I think it was totally worth it. As we drove without stopping, I saw every possible landmark there is. Surprisingly, I enjoyed looking at all of the things that make up our proud nation. I figured I might as well look into Washington's history if I was going to live there for a couple years. 

    I could just tell the other kids here had at least some of the many emotions I harbored. There was some curiosity, pride, and even a little fear mixed in. Finally one of the huge guys in the black suits (body guards?) ushered the sea of people to a grey room that was at least a little bigger than the mini gallery that we were herded in the last time. The man pushed us into the room to meet another guy who was a lot less intimidating. He wore a grey sweater and khakis as his worn face and balding head gave a clue as to his growing age.

        "Okay parents and our new guests, it is time for the orientation to begin!" The man clapped his hands together and started to obliviously wringing them. "I am Harry Burmonte, your guide and for some of you, your English teacher! As we are going to, um, make our way through the living quarters and more, I will continue explaining the classes and the rules of this school." After this, I have to admit that I zoned out, just admiring the size of the building we were in. If only I was listening, I might have been able to know what to expect and maybe even try to stop going to the school. 

When I lugged my bags towards the room marked Room 123, each bag seemed to weigh 100 pounds more than when I got there! As I stood in front of the plain white door, the red hot feeling burned in my cheeks, realizing that the door would eventually have to open. So much for patiently waiting for someone to rescue me from the humiliation of being undeceive. I thought as I silently pushed the door open. The boring door revealed a boring suite that was bigger than my room at home, which surprised me. 

        "Hi there!" someone exclaimed, which almost made me jump.  

        "Oh, sorry, I didn't know anyone came yet," I made sure I wouldn't hesitate since I was going to be the improved me. "Um, I'm Carry by the way."

        "Well, I knew I would be the first here, my parents were so excited to come. I think they were more excited than me!" the girl explained. "I'm Kristen.” The girl was looking at me expectantly as I tried to pinpoint whether her accent could reveal where she was from. As though she read my mind she added, “I'm from Louisiana, what about you?" Kristen stuck out her hand eagerly as I was just trying to get over what already changed besides my name.

  "Oh yeah, I'm from New York. But not the New York in case you were wondering." I began looking her over, starting from her high ponytail that was sloppily put in, the oversized T-shirt, her jean capris and lastly, her Converse. Even though it was such a relaxed style, Kristen pulled it off perfectly. 

            "That is sooo cool! Have you ever been to the City?" Her green eyes widened, looking like a little kid at Christmas.  

"Of course! It is so beautiful." This had us leaping into a huge conversation, mainly consisting of me describing New York City and Kristen asking questions about it.