Chapter 12

So there's a part where someone kinda gets killed and it's a bit graphic with the description, so I'll mark where it starts and ends with these: X

-----

It was the day of the gladiator matches. Lance was going to fight with the paladins in the beginning against a very weak monster. After they defeated it, he would turn on them. That easy.

They were being marched to the arena, Shiro in lead, then Keith, Hunk, Lance, and Pidge. No one asked what happened to him after he was taken away.

They were lead to the entrance and shoved into a strange holding area barred off him the guards, but open to the arena.

"Pick your weapons," The Galra soldier commanded. There were only four, all melee.

"You guys can take them. I'll be fine with my arm." Shiro nodded at them.

Pidge took a dagger, Hunk a club, Keith a sword, and Lance a spear.

"Now go. They're eager for a show." The soldier grinned at them and prodded them out with weapon.

They went into the arena, weapons in hand. Hunk was clearly distressed about having to use a melee weapon, while Lance was obviously perfectly fine with it.

The crowd cheered at the promise of a good show, having placed bets.

The beast approached from the other side of the arena. It looked like a giant dog of sorts, nothing special. Skeptical, Shiro held an arm out to keep the others back.

"This seems too simple..."

"Eh... Who cares. This will be quick." Lance shoved past Shiro, leading the way, and skillfully twirling his spear.

"Lance! Get back here!" Shiro groaned, chasing after him with the others.

"No way you're gonna get all the credit!" Keith shouted at him, racing past Shiro as Lance started running, jumping at the beast and landing on its back, stabbing his spear into its back. It reared up, shrieking.

"Lance! I said wait, damnit!" Shiro yelled at him, watching as Keith slashed at its leg. "Keith!"

The beast threw Lance off its back, behind Pidge, Hunk, and Shiro. He'd allowed it to, and scrambled behind a pillar.

Suddenly, just like that, Keith finished it off, stabbing it through its chest, puncturing a lung and impaling it's heart. It screeched in agony and writhered around for a few seconds before going limp. Keith had moved away from its body so he wouldn't get crushed.

"Was that...it?" Keith thought it was way too easy.

He figured he guessed right when Pidge suddenly fell to the ground with a cry of pain, having been shot from behind. The paladins turned, all in shock.

"Pidge!" Shiro yelled for her, about to run to her side before freezing in place.

Lance had stepped forward from his place where he'd shot her down. "Stay put, guys. I'm not finished yet." He had used his Bayard, having hidden it within the arena.

"Lance... You shot her..?" Shiro's voice was laced with shock.

"Eh... It appears so, doesn't it?" Lance nudged Pidge's wounded body with his foot. She was still conscious, but couldn't move. "She'll be perfectly fine in a few seconds though." He changed his Bayard to its dagger form.

Keith's breath hitched in his throat. "Lance, you aren't.."

"I am. Gotta make the fight a bit more fair. Get me?" Lance pulled Pidge up and got her in a head lock.. "You see, I'm the real enemy. All this time, I've been manipulating you guys."