Chapter 32 - The Talk

REWRITTEN

Keith's POV

   I step into the car, still wary about talking to her. I haven't seen her in over eleven years, and here she is in front of me. It's a lot harder to take in than it seems, trust me.

I take a seat, not looking Sandra in the eyes, afraid that she would bring up my childhood, and I don't want to think about it now, not when Jay isn't here to comfort me.

Her presence always calms me.

"Keith?" She says quietly, placing a shaky hand on my leg. "I know your hurting."

"You think?" I can't control my anger, now I regret that flew off my tongue.

Sandra let out a long sigh and took her shaky hand back and returning it to her lap. "Keith, I'm sorry for what I did to you, please hear me out?"

I just nod, 'cause if I would have opened my mouth to say something, I most likely would explode.

"I instantly regretted ever leaving you all alone in that place in Phoenix. I desperately wanted to go back, and change my decision, but I couldn't knowing that you were in Walker's hands then."

I gave her a pointed look. What was she inferring to? "What do you mean you 'couldn't knowing that I was in Walker's hands?'"

"Keith, before I tell you this, you need to be completely calmed down. This is important knowing that this will change everything you know."

"Okay..."

What? I didn't like how this conversation was going.

   She let out a breath. It was like she was mentally preparing herself for this. But for what?

   "Camden, please listen to me. Don't freak out about this alright?"

   I let go of the fact that she used my real name, but thats besides the point right now. "Can you just tell me, enough dilly dallying!"

   She visibly gulps and glances at me, her eyes full of panic, which is immediately covered up by fear. "Do you remember Jim?"

   "Yeah, why wouldn't I, he's my dad. And the only one who really cared for me." I spat out, my voice more bitter than I intended it to be.

   She just shudders and continues to look out her window.

   "I'm sorry, I didn't me-"

   "No, your right, he was the only one that took care of you. But right now, thats not our issue." She calmly states.

   "Well then what is?"

   "He's not your real father Camden."

   My heart just instantly stops.

   I froze in my seat, letting her words sink in. That can't be, I just was accepting the fact that they were gone because of me, but now she's saying that Jim wasn't even my biological father?

   "Camden, breathe, please listen to me."

   Tears are welling up in my eyes, and I almost forgot how to breathe.

   "W-what. D-do you, m-mean he's... not my real d-dad?" I choke, almost running out of breath to even speak. I instantly feel light headed. "If he's n-not my real f-father, th-then w-who is?"

   "Walker." She mutters under her breath. It was almost to quiet for me to hear.

   "What d-do you mean? H-how's that even p-possible?" I refuse to believe this.