↷ FIVE

''How was school today?''

She fiddles with the golden arrow ring on her ring finger and eyes it as if it was the most interesting item in the room.

''It was fine,'' She mumbles under her breath.

''Here's the steamed french vanilla and the expresso black for the two-'' Once Skye sets down their coffee orders, she looked between the two with a sneer. ''Akward father and daughter.''

Her gaze snaps over to Skye, brows furrowed and nostrils flared at her. She raises her hands in defence and returns to her spot behind the counter.

The unsettling feeling was strong as the uncomfortable silence grew between them.

''So,'' He breathes out, using one hand to grasp the handle while Devin takes a picture of her drink. ''How are your grades looking so far?''

She looks up from her screen to watch him blow on his expresso to cool it off for only a second, until she looks back down at her phone. ''They're fine.''

''And you're mother?'' He asks, his lips meter away the cup before taking a sip.

''Busy,'' She bluntly tells him in nonchalance.

Settling his cup down, he leans forward in his seat and let's out a hushed, ''What do you want me to do here, Dev? I'm trying.''

Spite the desperation egging on in his tone, it fueled her anger. ''You think I want you to try?''

She looks away with the shake of her and heaves out a bitter chuckle. ''I don't want any of this, dad. Okay, none of this is fair.''

''I know, Devin, but-'' He reaches out for her hand that rest on the table and she quickly swiped it away.

''No, you don't,'' She hissed. ''Because if you did,'' She shakes her head. ''you wouldn't ask about mom.''

''I still care for her-''

''Not as much as you care for her best friend.''

That's right.

Jacob Greene didn't leave Alyssa Greene for a blonde half his age or one that was his assistant at his work place.

He left her for her best friend.

And from all the tragic ending to a long term marriage, none was as quite painful than this.