-42-

"Charlie!" Greg started forward, but Hainsworth pressed the knife deeper into my flesh. I could feel the blade was on the verge of piercing my skin. My breathing was shallow and I tried to stay as still as possible.

"Do not come any closer." Hainsworth said.

Greg put his arms up as a sign of defeat and backed away.

"Okay, okay. Just... don't hurt her. Please."

"I won't. Not yet."

I could see Greg was having difficulties following the orders and staying put. He looked at me, eyes full of worry, and I tried to shoot him a look that would convince him to do what Hainsworth said.

"John, please just let her go. She has nothing to do with this."

"Oh, we're back on first name basis now, Greg?"

My brother just stared.

"And I do believe she has quite a bit to do with this, considering I found her snooping in the files."

I didn't bother trying to deny it. Even if by some miracle Hainsworth would believe me and let me go, I wasn't going to leave Greg to fend for himself.

"Maybe you're right." I said. Greg looked at me, but I ignored him. "There's no guarantee I won't tell anyone. And if I do, you'll face trial. You'll get a few years in jail, probably." I could see his knuckles turn red as he tightly held on to the knife.

I have his attention. I thought. Can't lose that.

"But that is nothing compared to the punishment you'll face if you kill us, I promise you."

As a response, he pressed the blade deeper into my skin.

"What makes you think I'd get caught?" He asked.

I tried to stay calm, but my breathing was starting to quicken.

"You're not a murderer, John. You didn't mean to hurt all those people, did you?" I couldn't see his face, but since he didn't say anything, I decided to keep talking, trying to get in his head.

"It was collateral damage. You're just trying to do what's good for the company, right?"

The man laughed humorlessly.

"See," he hissed. "You get it. Now why are you so mad about it? It's nothing personal, it's just business."

I turned my head, ignored the blade. Hainsworth was looking at me, eyebrows risen to an almost comical height.

I tried not to sound angry. I wanted him to feel like I understood his motives, no matter how implausible that may be.

"My friend died in the earthquake." my voice was calm, and Hainsworth looked at me.

For a second, I could swear I detected pity in his eyes. He looked like he was about to respond , but at that moment, a bark coming from outside redirected our attention. Hopper.

Temporarily distracted, Hainsworth lowered the knife. I acted quickly, slapping his arm further away from me so that his semi-relaxed hand released it, and breaking free from his chokehold. The knife clanged as it hit the ground. Hainsworth turned his attention back to me just as I picked up the item. He started forwards, but I pointed the blade at him.

"Don't." I said.

He frowned, but he did listen. I could feel my chest heaving as my fingers clutched the handle. I had the advantage, but Hainsworth didn't look scared.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Greg had grabbed his cellphone.

"Are you gonna call the cops?" Hainsworth asked, "On what network?"