Chapter 22 ~ Cheeto Arguments & Chasing Bad Guys

I popped another Cheeto into my mouth and let the cheesy chip melt on my tongue as I shared the bag with Daryl. He dug out one as well and scarfed it down.

"I can't remember the last time I ate these," I chuckled between bites.

"Been too long since we had any good junk food." Daryl agreed, picking through the small bag for the cheesiest chip.

"Hey! Not fair!" I whined, trying to grab the bag from him when I realized what he was doing, "I like the cheesy ones too, you know!"

Daryl wrestled with me over the bag until we were rudely interrupted by Rick.

"Stop it, you two!" he scolded but there was a playful tone to his voice and I could tell he was fighting a laugh.

Daryl and I looked at each other and then we all burst into laughter, the earlier struggles today melting away.

"Hey look at that!"Rick said suddenly, while popping a piece of chocolate into his mouth.

"Yeah, a barn." Daryl said, peering out the window.

Just then as we rode along, I began to hear a thumping sound on the roof. Glancing up at it for a second, the sound came again.

"You guys hear that?" I asked, still listening intently for the sound.

They tilted their heads, listening and then the sound came again from above - louder this time. 

"I think that guy is on the roof!" Daryl growled and I huffed.

"Hold on." Rick said before abruptly slamming his foot on the brake.

We all fell forward but one of us more so. Sliding off the roof into the grass with an 'Ooph!' was Jesus. I snickered as he wobbly got up up from the ground to face us. But only for a second before running in the other direction. Rick gunned the engine and we went roaring after him. I fell backward into the seat then and harrumphed.

As we sped through the grass, Daryl started to open the passenger door. He cursed under his breath, glancing through the window briefly before jumping out.

"Daryl!" Rick and I called after him simultaneously, "DARYL!"

I groaned, sliding my hands across my cheeks nervously before resting them on the dash.

"Rick, do something!" I yelled at him, panic seeping into my voice.

Daryl ran beside the truck towards Jesus and we tried to keep up with him, Rick pushing his foot hard on the gas. He zipped passed us then and Rick made a circle around him and Daryl.

"Rick, what are you doing?!" I screeched, whipping around to face him.

Rick said nothing, just began rolling the vehicle backwards. We passed Jesus and Daryl who had begun to fight in the open clearing. I dug my fingernails into the foam-like material of the dashboard as Rick stopped and punched the brakes on the truck. 

"Come on!" he called over his shoulder to me before hopping out the driver's side.

He jumped down onto the green grass, boots thudding as he did. I groaned in exasperation as I gently hoisted myself down from the truck and ran over to his side, one hand on my belly. There was an old abandoned truck in the clearing that I hadn't noticed before. Walkers had been tied to it with a fraying rope...that was breaking as they tried to limp over to us.

"We came to a conclusion, dirtbag!" Daryl shouted after Jesus and my eyes snapped to them.

Jesus was running for his life across the grass and I almost snickered at the priceless expression on his face as my father hunted him down.

"I got him!" he called over to us and Rick nodded.

Rick ran across the grass to the walkers that had broken free and one by one, began to take them down with his knife. I joined him as fast as I could, retrieving the knife that was strapped against the leg of my jeans. Blood spurted from its skull as I took one down. It fell with a thump into the grass but just as I got ready to take down another, I heard the opening of a car door. I whipped my heard around to see Jesus climbing into the truck and Daryl climbing in right after him, trying to yank him back out. I wasn't worried until I saw the walker limping its way to Daryl.

"No, no, no, no, no!" I muttered, beginning to run to them.

I ran as fast as I could but I wasn't close enough. I wouldn't make it in time. And I'd left my gun in the truck. Please don't let Daryl die, please don't let Daryl die, I repeated over and over in my head. My chest tightened just then as Jesus picked up my gun from the front seat. He aimed it at Daryl and I sucked in breath.

Daryl lifted his hands up in surrender. I couldn't see what happened next - I was too far away. I could only hear the loud gunshot ring out in the open air.

"DAD!" I screamed, falling to my knees.

Tears pricked my brown eyes and Rick came up beside me. An ache filled my chest and I felt like I couldn't breathe - like someone had sucked all the air right out of my lungs. Suddenly, a dark head came into view behind the open car door and I let out a breath. He was fine! Daryl punched Jesus in the face just then as Rick helped me to my feet.

"That's Angel's gun!" he hollered at him angrily before yanking him out the door, "Come here!"

Suddenly, the truck began to roll down the hill and I exchanged a glance with Rick. The open door hit Jesus in the head and he fell to the ground, unconscious. Rick and I ran across the grass but we were too late. The truck hit the water with a loud splash!

"Nooo!" I whined, holding my head in my hands briefly.

Peeking between my fingers, I watched the vehicle sink down into the muddy water before slowly disappearing beneath the frothy surface. Rick sighed in defeat and knowing we could no more for it, made our way back to where Daryl and an unconscious Jesus were. I ran to Daryl and barreled into him, enveloping him in a hug that neither one of us expected. He hesitated for a second before wrapping his lean arms around me in an embrace.

"I thought he shot you..." I whispered into his vest, slightly muffled by the material.

Gently, he lifted up my chin so that I met his deep blue eyes.

"I wouldn't leave you like that... Never again..." he reassured me, his voice unnaturally soft.

I nodded slowly, blinking back the hot tears that formed in my eyes. He ran a hand down my back soothingly before we both broke away from each other. An embarrassed blush crossed his face then and he avoided Rick's eyes as he walked up, becoming the tough guy once more.

"So much for our good day." I muttered, crossing my arms over my stomach.

"You all right?" Rick asked us and I gave him a slight nod.

"Yeah," Daryl answered simply, grimacing as we gazed down at the still body of Jesus, "Law of averages,"

Rick sighed before we all turned to leave.

"Let's go check them cars, get out of here." Daryl said, his eyes flicking to the abandoned vehicles across from us.

"What about the guy?" Rick asked.

"What about him?" I shrugged, gazing over at him.

"Well, he helped you," Rick said, directing the statement to Daryl.

Daryl was silent a moment.

"Maybe..." he said indifferently.

"He ever pull a weapon on you?" Rick challenged, arching an eyebrow.

Daryl rolled his eyes in the silence that ensued between us three.

"Fine!" he bit out stubbornly, "Let's put him up a tree."