Chapter 2: Footie

I walked to school the next morning seeing his car gone. Football tryouts were today so I'd have to hurry. I only got about two hours of sleep last night thinking too much about the beautiful person.

I walked through the double doors in the front of the school and walked upstairs into my locker. I dialed the combination four times until it finally opened and I placed my books inside putting my coat on the little hook and pulling my sleeves over my hands to try and attempt to hide my cigarette burns that Michael gave me just yesterday. Today was Friday so it would be their of day from bullying me. I've gotten used to it so much that I know their schedule for hurting me. Monday wasn't the worst. They would go easy on me a bit. Wednesday was a little worse because they'd most likely have a test that day and get a bad grade on it so they'll need some time for a little fun before getting a lecture from their parents. Then there came Thursday which was the absolute worse. They would try their hardest just to make sure they've s succeeded before their last day of school before the weekend.

I saw my new neighbour across the hallway trying to get into his locker, muttering a few cuss words under his breath. He obviously wasn't that happy and I'm sure that me starting at him wasn't helping either. He looked over at me and then leant against his locker trying again.

"Fuck," he hissed and kicked his locker walking past me and down the stairs.

I felt bad for him. After all, it was his first day here and he couldn't even open his own locker. I just wanted to go help him open it hoping that afterwards we would become best buds. I needed someone to help me stand up to Louis and Michael.

Football tryouts were in about twenty minutes and I had to quickly get down to the field. I slammed my locker shut flinching a little hoping the teachers didn't here. We weren't supposed to be upstairs in the mornings. I scurried downstairs heading outside to the field seeing a line of guys standing there with the coach heading out of the gym. I stood next to one boy with a striped shirt on and put my hands behind my back looking up towards the sky.

"Okay boys, today you all will be missing three out of your seven classes for these tryouts. So if you are someone who cares a lot about your grades then maybe you shouldn't be here. But if you are dedicated to football then you belong on this field with me, kicking some balls and shooting some goals," the coach spoke harshly, me feeling some of the immature boys snicker and whisper.

I looked at the coach and he walked up to me.

"What's your name son?" He asked looking as serious as can be.

"N-Niall Horan," I stuttered nervously.

He patted my arm and asked the rest of the boys their names. I felt a bit nervous whenever I heard him talking to Michael and Louis. Then the last boy on the end was him. The one I can't get my mind off of.

"Harry Styles. Haven't seen you before. I've heard of you but never seen you," the coach said writing his name on his clipboard.

"Okay boys. There are the footballs over there start shooting some goals and I'll come around and help. You may get with a partner if you want too," he said walking over to the bleachers blowing his whistle. I saw Louis and Michael team up together and Harry was all alone. I walked up to him abit nervously.

"You uh wanna be partners?" I asked looking at him.

"Uh sure. You know how to pass?" He asked.

"Um yeah sure," I smiled and backed away from him.

He kicked the ball towards me and I stopped it with my foot. I didn't really know how to play footie but I'm sure he could've taught me.

"What's wrong? Pass it back to me," he said with a confused look on his face.

I nodded and kicked it back to him noticing the coach watching us. I looked to Harry.

"Was that good?" I asked him nervously.

"Perfect," he said and I saw the coach get up from his spot on the bleachers and walked over to help to guys that weren't doing so well. Then he helped Louis and Michael shot the ball into the goal. And finally, he came over to me and Harry.

"Boys, I've seen you two pass back and forth and I think the both of you are my best players so far. Even better than Tomlinson and Clifford over there," he smiled at us and I looked to Harry holding my hand up for a high five. He slapped it and I saw the coach laugh.

"Okay everyone get in a line," the coach shouted.

He began to read of names and either tell them their position or tell them they didn't make it on the team. When he got to me I felt my palms begin to sweat.

"Horan, you made it bud," he smiled and told me my position and handed me my jersey.

He looked to Harry and smirked.

"Styles, you're gonna be team captain," he said and handed Harry his green jersey that said Styles on the back.

I saw Harry smile like he was so proud of making the team. I looked at my green jersey and saw my last name on the back too. I felt special holding my one and only jersey in hand.

"Good job Styles," I looked at him trying to seem more confident than I ever was.

He nodded and then walked over to Louis and Michael with some other boy named Zayn. I looked to a boy that was sad because he didn't make the team and headed over to coach.

"Coach Paul?" I asked and stood beside him.

"What do you need Horan?" he asked looking at me.

"Why didn't you put that kid over there on the team? I was watching him play and he was quite good." I tried to tell him without stuttering like an idiot.

"Well, he doesn't really know how to pass and doesn't kick the ball high enough. He also misses the goal every time," he said looking at the boy sitting sadly on the bleachers looking at his friend's jersey.

"Well I'm sorry to seem like really bossy or anything, but why not have him be goalie? That way, before every game we don't have to choose one. All you need to do is just see if he can catch the ball before it hits the net," I suggested.

"Good idea son, I never thought about that. Maybe I should make you the team captain instead of Mr. Styles over there," he smiled.

"Oh no thank you. I mean, before I wanted to be the team captain but Harry is really nice and I wouldn't wanna steal his position from him. Besides, Harry is way better at footie than me," I explained feeling like I would be a horrible person if I took his position.

"Don't say that boy. Being team captain isn't all about being great at playing the game. It's also about having the courage to make rules and try and help others," he said patting my back.

But I don't have the courage to do that. I don't even know how I came to you too help that one kid.

"Well I'll think about the offer and get back to you soon. I think I'm just a nice kid, not someone who could be a leader," I told him.

That's not the real reason you idiot. It's because you like him.