CHAPTER 1 | The First New Mission

[Hello, yes, a brief word if you're new here and skipped the info page: this is a sequel. The first story is called The Windmill Turns Both Ways. Read it here https://www.wattpad.com/story/44217012 or continue forth, if you're a former reader or a wild rebel.]

Ok then? Let's get going!

################################################

Naruto scuffed his sandal on the road, bounced his knee, and looked up into the sky for the dozenth time. The reds of evening were already lighting up the Hokage monument as the sun set. The scaffolding around Tsunade's newly-minted face looked especially eerie in the long shadows.

"Let's just go in, Sakura-chan! It'll serve him right for making us wait around! He has to be doing this on purpose."

"Three days." Sakura crossed her arms, eyes narrowed. "We've known about this meeting for three days already! There's no way you can be late with that much notice! He'll probably say something like, 'oh, sorry, on the way here Pakkun got a thorn in his paw, and it took five hours to get it out'. Yeah, right!"

"That's mean to Pakkun, don't you think?"

"YOU'RE LATE!" Naruto and Sakura screeched in unison as Kakashi stepped into their view.

"You were messing with us! Admit it!" Naruto stamped on the ground.

"It's nice to see you too, Naruto," Kakashi said, lowering the book from his face. "I'm glad you're finally out of the hospital. This mission should help you spend all that energy you've built up over the past few weeks... I hope."

"You already know what we're doing, Kakashi-sensei?" Sakura asked, still scowling.

Kakashi looked up at the Hokage tower with solemn significance. "I'll let Tsunade-sama fill you in. Let's go."

Naruto felt a thrill of anticipation as they went inside. After all that time in the hospital, re-building the strength in his body-even spending his birthday laying in bed!-the prospect of a new mission was as delicious a bowl of pork cutlet ramen. Extra large.

################################################

Tsunade was standing at the window facing the brilliant sunset when they came in. She turned around and sat down at her desk, gazing at them over her folded hands for several silent seconds before speaking.

"Everyone, please remain calm when you hear about this mission."

"What's going on, Tsunade-sama?" Sakura said nervously. She looked back at Kakashi, standing behind them. "Shouldn't our first mission back be... I don't know..."

"Don't worry, Baa-chan!" Naruto said, pointing his thumb at himself. "Chasing after Oto-nin? Akatsuki? Trust me, I've got plenty of aggression stored up for those guys. When do we go? Is it tonight?"

Tsunade closed her eyes with a sigh, then opened them again.

He should have known not to trust that gleam.

"There is going to be a special banquet held in the village tomorrow, with high-level clients and officials from the Fire Country and elsewhere. A lot of very important people will be there."

Naruto leaned forward, face brimming with anticipation.

"You will be... wait staff," Tsunade said with a pleasant smile. "But since you're too untrained to deal with the public, your task will be to bus tables and help clean."