CHAPTER 32 | Gold General, Silver General

Naruto was staring at Tobi's red cloud-emblazoned coat. They were already in the kamui dimension, so Tobi probably hadn't made Minato's dagger disappear. But even if it was just in his pocket, it still felt hopelessly out of reach.

"None of that belongs to you," Naruto said.

"I plan on asking Orochimaru myself," Tobi continued as if he hadn't heard. "But since you're already here, whatever I can learn from you would be a good start. You seem to know far more than anyone should."

"What's he trying to do? In the long run, I don't know. But he wants to steal your eye. He wants this." Naruto moved his hands to indicate the kamui dimension as a whole.

Tobi gave a disbelieving snort. "He put you in a catatonic state, attacked my troops, and killed the Mizukage in order to get this?"

Even though Tobi's voice sounded completely different, the sarcasm felt far too much like his younger self. Or maybe knowing just made it seem that way.

"No." Naruto straightened his back, standing as tall as he could to focus on the spiral opening in Tobi's mask. "What happened with me was something else. Orochimaru isn't out to take the bijuu. But he probably wants you to think that, since it keeps you distracted."

"Even if I believed that much—and I don't—I would like to understand how he knows so much about my plans. Or why he would tell you."

Naruto shrugged. "He was in Akatsuki, right? He must've had plenty of time to figure out what you were—"

"All the major nations know by now," Tobi cut in dangerously. "Hunting the bijuu will take that much longer. You cannot tell me Orochimaru only did this as a distraction."

"He probably did it for fun, too."

Tobi's hand shot forward. Naruto braced for impact, but Tobi simply grabbed his jaw and forced his head up. Naruto could see the one red eye shining through the mask.

"This is your last chance to answer voluntarily. How did Orochimaru take the Kyuubi? How were you able to get it back? What is your role in all of this?"

"I'm the same as you," Naruto said. "Another piece in his game. But at least I'm aware enough to realize it."

Tobi slammed his head back, cracking it against the stone. Naruto's knees gave way and he slumped against the column.

The outside world was a distant buzz through the washed out feeling in his head. The pain was sharp, but it didn't feel like it belonged to him. Blood tickled the back of his neck.

Naruto. Kurama's voice came to him through a mental kaleidoscope. We need to end this. If you pass out here, you may never wake up again.

Naruto forced his eyes open and braced himself against the column with his hands.

'Thanks, Kurama. I'm sorry I got you into another mess. I haven't made anything up to you yet. And I've never really thanked you enough.'

This isn't the time for pointless rambling! Use my power. It is the only way you stand a chance against him now.

Naruto slowly raised a hand to wipe his mouth. 'S no good. If it looks like he's about to take us to get extracted, you can go wild. But right now, I need to be myself.'

Because Naruto couldn't see Tobi's face beneath the mask, it took him a moment to realize the man was still talking.

"—But there's no time to be wasting on this. Are you sure you can do it?"