CHAPTER 36 | The Three-Tails

Zetsu leaned out of the tree on the third island they'd searched. This was starting to feel like a waste of time, but they would see it through to the end nevertheless. Orochimaru had already made a fool of Akatsuki enough. Each island surrounding Kirigakure would be thoroughly searched for any signs of the treacherous snake.

"Why did we end up with the boring job this time?" White Zetsu complained. "Let's go back and torture the Kyuubi, ne? It would be just as helpful as what we're doing now. And a lot more fun."

"Shut up," Black Zetsu growled. "It's better if we stay close. Impatience is making him too reckless. We should let them seal the Sanbi for us, then take it. Attacking here is a pointless risk."

"Which means more cleanup work for us to do." White Zetsu gave a long-suffering sigh. "It's too soon for him to be fighting so many Kage-level shinobi at once."

They jumped at the sound of a soft hiss above their head. Zetsu tried to quickly jump out of the tree trunk, but the giant python dropped down and wrapped around their neck. Soon it was curled all around their body, and slid down the tree to the ground.

"Eww! Get it off!" White Zetsu cried, struggling unsuccessfully. "Why's it always some gross snake thing—"

"Shut up," Black Zetsu snapped again. "Show yourself, Orochimaru!"

Orochimaru stepped out of the same tree. He walked unhurriedly over to where they lay. "Is that all you've got? You aren't going to use those latent powers of yours to fight back?"

"What are you here for?" Black Zetsu demanded. "You're too late. We will have the Sanbi back—"

Orochimaru laughed with genuine amusement. "What do I care about that? I'll be gone from this world soon enough. You're the one I needed to come out of hiding. What's within you is worth far more to me." Orochimaru pointed one long fingernail down at them. A dangerous grin slashed across his face. "Besides... petty as it sounds, I still haven't forgiven what you did to my assistant."

"What is he talking about? Finally lost it," White Zetsu muttered. "But who knows if he ever had it in the first—ahh!" The python sunk its fangs into Zetsu's neck. "AH! I... I can't..."

"What is this?" Black Zetsu ground out slowly.

Orochimaru crouched beside them and stroked the snake's scales. "It's disappointing that you just wasted your only chance to fight back. This species isn't venomous, usually. But with my modifications, it's perfect for making sure you can't move." He reached for Zetsu's face, but then paused.

Both Zetsu fought to say something during the intervening silence. But their body fell completely slack within the snake's coils. All they could do was watch silently.

Orochimaru lowered his hand. "It isn't your fight this time, Sasuke-kun. I know you must be disappointed, too. But your moment will come someday if you are patient."

The forest around them remained silent. Orochimaru listened for a moment, then looked up.

"Oh? That's unexpected. I never imagined a path would open on its own. I need to hurry." Orochimaru stood.

Then he ran away, and the snake followed, dragging Zetsu. They were heading west, away from Kiri and the Sanbi.

Sasuke watched them from a thick patch of brush. He straightened to full height and narrowed his eyes.

He heard a quiet croak and looked down.

"Follow if you want to," Sasuke told the toad. "But I'm not going to the island."