CHAPTER 37 | A Disorderly Universe

Tobi kept walking closer. Naruto could feel the distortion of energy coming off him like radiating cold. He was prepared to grab the trio at any moment.

Naruto also felt Obito and Kabuto, still frozen behind him. Kabuto's plant-clone body was only distinguishable from everything else by the shape of its outline intersecting with other streams of energy. Naruto could sense everything from Tobi's footsteps to the way Obito's heart thumped wildly in his chest.

The complete Sage Mode he'd gotten from absorbing the great tree's energy had already lasted far beyond usual, much of that time wasted while chasing Tobi's shadow. He had to make the best possible use of the remaining time.

"Well?" Tobi said. "I suppose I can't trust anything Itachi told me, but you're clearly involved in this somehow. So did Orochimaru also make a copy of you?"

"I am the copy. So's this entire world," Naruto said. "The Orochimaru who did this comes from somewhere else. He just recently came here and took his other self's place. You really don't understand what you're dealing with. It wasn't a coincidence he picked you as one of his test subjects."

"How did you escape? The Tsukuyomi usually leaves a person weak for days after awakening. Did Itachi go easy on you? Or did that help you?" Tobi inclined his head.

"I'm not a that," Obito spat.

"I get you're mad about losing the Sanbi right now," Naruto said. "But that's part of it. You think you're so great at twisting people to do what you want, but you're the one being used this time. Give this up now, before you lose everything."

The cold aura grew, fueled by Tobi's anger.

"I don't have anything left to lose."

"Get ready," Naruto murmured. "He can't take us back to this world if he's in yours."

Naruto didn't look to see if Obito approved his idea. Tobi's step quickened and he jumped at them.

Naruto didn't move. Tobi reached out. Naruto felt Obito's hand on his back.

Tobi grabbed the front of his jacket like he intended to throw him. Naruto saw the world before him freeze and twist and start to turn into something else.

The outside slipped away and the kamui dimension faded into view, but they still felt trapped in between.

The two versions of the dimension were warring with one another. Tobi and Obito were pulling them in different directions at the same time. They hadn't had time to consider if it was dangerous, if they might all get ripped apart.

Finally, they landed on the smooth, pale stone surface of the kamui dimension. Naruto steadied himself as quickly as he could.

Tobi was still stubbornly holding on to the collar of his jacket. Naruto elbowed him hard in the mask, then kicked him in the chest. The force sent Tobi half-sliding, half-stumbling back until a square column stopped him.

Tobi stayed on his feet, but didn't move to retaliate just yet. His mask was riddled with hairline cracks from the Mode's power. Pieces of it crumbled and fell. He stared at them.

Naruto made to walk toward him, but Obito stopped him by pulling on his arm.

"What?"

Obito gave him a serious look. He took a deep breath and nodded. "Alright. We've made it this far. Let me try."

Naruto opened his mouth, then closed it. He was all too aware that the Mode wouldn't last much longer. But Obito was right. They had to try this without fighting first.