Chapter 3 - The Chorotega

I knew no one in Nicaragua except Rafe

I didn't know what to do, but I had an idea of where to start.

It wasn't true that Rafe was the only person I knew. We were staying in a small town called Pochomil Beach, and there was someone I saw everyday: Trabon. For the past week, I'd bought fruit from him, occasionally chatting about the breathtaking scenery. I felt confident that he could point me in a semblance of a direction, especially since he spoke English.

With Rafe tied to the bed (and not for the first time, mind you), I traipsed downstairs to the marketplace.

Trabon was refilling the mango trays when I approached.

"Back for more?" He smiled.

"Eh, might as well. Two more, please." As I dug in my satchel for money, I said, "I also have a question."

He kept his grin and replied, "I'll answer anything, except that for which I don't have answers."

Great, he sounded vague. That meant I was probably talkin' to the right guy.

"Okay," I said slowly. "Where can I find a Chosen One?"

Trabon's smile finally slipped. "Why do you ask this?"

I decided honesty was best. "My husband is sick, and I need a Chosen One to help him."

His eyes narrowed. Time slipped by, and I assumed our conversation over.

Then I heard,

Is that so?

Although, his lips hadn't moved.

"Yes," I said.

I waited for another telepathic question, but Trabon only resumed restocking his wares. Somehow, I was afraid I'd failed some sort of psychic test. However, I couldn't leave empty-handed.

I watched him navigate around the small fruit-stand for a few minutes, occasionally handing him a basket here or a tray there.

"Can you help us?" I needed to know.

Trabon bent and disappeared under the booth. When he poked his head up again, he slapped a paper down on the wood.

A map.

I handled the paper gingerly, as it was yellowed and lined with age. A water way took up half of the map, with locations labeled along the coastline. One in particular was circled and titled "Titi's". I pointed to the circled location.

"This will lead me to the Chosen One?"

He chuckled. "The map will lead you to lunch." He slid the paper closer to me.

"What?"

Once again, he resumed stocking his fruit. This time, he solicited customers passing by, fully ignoring me.

"I'll find the Chosen One at Titi's?" I persisted, interrupting his discussion with a local.

He shifted a pained grin my way and handed me two mangos.

"Don't forget these, miss. ¡Que tengas un gran día!"

Go.

The command barreled at me in a growl, and I dared not push my luck. I nodded and left, intent on getting lunch and actual answers.

~*~