Chapter 4: Pitcher Perfect

Even with the perfect amphitheater design, the hall never felt more sorted. There were plasma screens all over the staging area, arranged by the order of 'by floor' and 'by angle' and a central bigger screen for any focused view. This was accompanied by screens having 'camp view', 'trucks' and feeds coming from the drones. Men in uniform sat by the screens observing each move made by the pitcher which twisted and broke things continuously in the screen.
One of the soldiers came towards the Colonel.

'We are ready sir, your command.' He almost shouted. 

Colonel swelled his chest again. 'Yes, prepare for attack.' 

'Right sir.' He marched off following the orders.

The Colonel picked up his radio transmitter from a front row seat and repeated the orders. Coincidently the main screen changed its display from the pitcher to camp one. A jeep installed with a missile launcher ignited and advanced towards the facility. Sneha had always been fascinated by army jeeps and armors. Her eyes glued to the screen admiringly. The best part was that the nightmare would be over.
Five armed men swarmed the front door and broke it open by a gunshot.

'They could have asked for the keys.' Mukesh signed.

Jai and Sneha gave him a look.

'What?' Mukesh shrugged his shoulders. 'It is better than spoiling such a pricey door just to act like a Robocop.'

The mini launcher was moved forward aligning it in a straight line with the main entrance. The mouth of the launcher was inclined at sixty degrees to avoid collision with staircase. The officer standing next to the launcher signaled for load and fired it. The missile went beeline in the direction of facility.

The central screen switched the display from outside to the inside of facility chasing the path of the missile. An air of relaxation filled the hall as they saw the green monster turn its mouth and swallow the cylinder full of death. But then all went quiet and everyone stared at the screens. The soldiers outside the facility inclined their heads to hear the speculated blast.

The central screen remained unexcited. The soldiers monitoring the screens exchanged baffled looks. The Colonel, witnessing this unexpected turn of events climbed the stage and banged on the computer table.

'Why is that bloody hell of a plant not exploding?'

***

'That damm of a thing is supposed to kill a village, why didn't it blow?'

The team was back in the guest room, with a single change, a befuddled Colonel.

The energy of the room was depressing not because of the skipped lunch time but because nobody had any anchored theory of what just happened. Jai stood by the window watching uniformed men discuss the unusual case they ever took in hushed voices. He adjusted his specks by his finger than turned to face Sneha standing across the room. She looked pale yet the way her bangs fell on her forehead made her look beautiful. Her hands were folded tight into each other and she was letting puffs of distress.
He turned his gaze to Rajeev Sir who sat on a chair with his elbows on the table and his hands punching his forehead spasmodically. He looked calm but Jai knew his brain was dementing. He would consider Rajeev Sir justified if he decides to take out the gun from the holster around the waist of Colonel and shoot his dumb assistants.

'I asked you something Dr. Rajeev, please I need some answers.' Colonel asserted.

'I am sorry Colonel, but as you can see this is not as easy as 'boom bang and finish'. I need some time to evaluate the situation.'

Rajeev Sir knew the situation was bad but he didn't expected this. The plant swallowed a missile. A freaking missile! How on earth could this happen? All things considered, it was still was a plant, it should have exploded. This day was going phenomenally bad. His two major projects, handled by his two most talented assistants had just crashed and burned. His beloved facility, his life's work was hoarded with commandos. A pompous Colonel was getting on his nerves by constant quibbling. And the worst of all, he didn't have any clue of what his next action should be.

'Can things get any worse?' As this thought crossed his mind, he heard someone knocking on the door.

'Come in' He shouted.

'Sir.' A head peeked in.

'Trisha! What are you doing here? I told everybody to go home.'

'Ah, don't you remember.' She closed the door behind her.

'I went to take Dr. Link and Dr. Courtney from the airport.'

Rajeev Sir looked like he was going to faint.

'What?' He asked, his eyes popping out. 'Who?' He choked.

'The guests for the seminar sir. Didn't you picked them?' Trisha wavered, which was attenuated by her squat body. 

'What's wrong? And why are so many army men here?' She swallowed, her eyes petrified.

'I hope you took them to their hotels.' Rajeev Sir asked neglecting her query.

'I..I was going to..but..but'

'BUT, BUT WHAT?' Sir asked with urgency.
Trisha shrieked, 'but they wanted a tour of the facility beforehand to familiarize themselves to the location of the presentation.'

'Where are they now?' Sir asked suddenly short of breath. 

'Outside.'

'Outside what? The hall or the room?'

Instead of getting a reply, he saw the room open and a nondescript old man entered the room followed by a hefty woman.

'May I introduce myself?' He asked with a pleasant smile and jolly British step.

'Dr. Link, Madam Courtney, welcome, please.' Rajeev Sir said struggling to keep his voice calm. He got up clumsily and wobbled to the door.

'It's a pleasure to meet you.'
They shook hands.
 Sneha escorted them to the couch. Jai and Colonel remain unperturbed.
'I..how was your flight? Can I get you anything or would you like to rest?' Sir said uncertainly.
'Rajeev, I am glad to meet you son. I would like you to meet Madam Courtney.' He waited till they acknowledged each other.

'Rajeev is a big fan of yours Miss Courtney. When he knew I happen to know you, he said to me 'you are bringing her for the presentation Dr.Link. Make it happen.' He laughed alone on his poor imitation of Rajeev sir's voice.
Sensing the tension in the room, he changed his manner.
'Is everything ok Rajeev?' He asked concerned like an old friend.

'Yes, yes, yes.' Sir choked.

'Three times doesn't make it true, does it? Try four.' Dr. Link said gently.