Chapter 9: Alpha Beta

'When was I supposed to know the complete plan? Or should I say all the flaws in the plan?'
Jai turned to see Sneha standing on the entrance of the tent, furious.
Nobody in the tent spoke.
'You told me that it will work.' She started to walk towards the center where Colonel, Rajeev sir and Jai stood pinning maps of facility building to a board.
'It will.' Jai struggled to keep his tone firm.
'Fifty percent, you said fifty percent! Its ALL or NOTHING Jai!' 

Tears welled up her eyes. Jai knew that it was not a sign of her weakness. It happened every time she was infuriated.
'I will go.'

All heads in the tent turned on Sneha, unable to determine if its her strength or stupidity.
Jai however was outraged. Putting hands on his waist he tried to maintain his equipoise.
Then he moved a step closer and asserted, 'Are you insane, no way in hell are you going.'

'Why?' Sneha demanded.
'Because I am saying so!' Jai snapped. He clenched his hand into a fist trying to control his anger. Taking a long breath he continued, 'Its dangerous Sneha.' 
He drew his hands forward to hold her arms tenaciously to emphasize, 'Its really dangerous and I don't want you to get hurt. Please, please, I beg you, Sneha, don't make it hard.'
'I can say the same.' Her concerned eyes met his.
'They need my assistance to carry out the plan.' Jai tried to convince with a reason. 

'Well then, I guess I will be a substitute.' Sneha retorted breaking free from his hold.
'Jai is right Sneha, you should stay here.' Rajeev sir interrupted to persuade her though he knew it would be of no use. He had seen that look on her face before, it was the same when she was told something was impossible which made her crave for success in that challenge. It was like her mode to get high.

Sneha shifted her gaze to Rajeev sir and Colonel Singh, she was mad at both of them. She slid aside and with cold stare spoke demandingly. 

'The chopper that will fly to launch the blades would require my assistance as the plant is rapidly dividing and thus which segment of it would be the most tender to be destroyed can be determined by me. And at that precise moment the superbugs would be launched which again would require my expertise as I know how to locate the center of its gut region.' Sneha commanded.
She caught Colonel's attention. Sighting the opportunity she continued.
'I have studied the complete morphology and physiology of this plant so I can determine at which second at what rate and at what distance should we fire the blades and drop the bugs to maximize the impact. And it is a fact so don't try to deny it.' She raised her hand to prevent Rajeev sir from stopping her.

However Colonel Singh objected, 'Sneha I can't allow you, its not safe and you are not prepared.'

'I am mentally prepared and that is the key Colonel.' Sneha returned.
'And to make it easier for you, let me inform you that this.' She paused as of this moment her career as a scientist would be over.
'All of this, is my fault.'
Rajeev sir bolted in his place, 'What are you doing?'
Sneha was unstoppable now, 'No, don't try and save me sir, its about time.' She returned to Colonel, 'It was my experiment, I am the one responsible here. Now you decide whether it is wiser to endanger two of the brilliant scientists of this country or the one who will be useless, if not now then after the inquisition.'
Jai grabbed her arm and swiveled her to face him. 'Stop it. You are not going and that's final. You have no consideration that how would I feel if anything happens to you.'
He noticed her eyes welling up again.
'How would you feel !! And do you have any idea that this is all my fault and if anybody gets hurt, how would I feel.' She said ridiculing him.
'And specially you Jai, you knew it is a risky mission. You can't save me this time Jai, that too on the expense of your life. I will not let you do that.'
'I can't allow you to do this.'
'Excuse me!' She asked with arched brows.
'Yes, I can't let you go. Now you choose. If you don't give this up.' He paused, 'We are over.'
His glaring eyes reflected his anger and communicated the message loud and clear.

It was not difficult. Though she wavered to see him so vulnerable, the decision was an easy one. She retreated back. She turned and addressed the crew of station three. 

'The events will take place as scheduled with only one alteration. I will be assisting in the second chopper and signal trigger of superbug.'
She finished as Jai and Rajeev sir exchanged helpless glances.