Chapter 7: Roots

Vaibhav was the technical in-charge of this mission. After his engineering degree he joined army to continue his father's legacy of working in armed forces. He finished first in his class. If someone knew him in school, they wouldn't have believed that he would be so passionate about anything in his life. Like every other kid, he was lost about his professional path till he had joined college. 

Vaibhav couldn't believe he ran into Sneha today. She was the last person he would have expected to meet because of their different lives. She was very friendly yet there was something so distant about her when he knew her in school. He remembered how she used to chirp all over the campus. Sports day, annual day, teachers' day, Christmas, inter school competitions and million other events could be handled by her with ease. She was everyone's favorite for her helpful nature. He chortled thinking back of how her clever reply's made the entire class to burst into laughter whenever she had missed or was late for any lecture due to her extra activities. She had true but the worst excuses ever.

He had never felt so attracted to a person with whom he was so familiar. When he was sitting on the stage getting bandages, he felt safe in her presence. Was he falling for her? Maybe. He definitely was intrigued when he watched her sleep in the hall. There was a certain charisma the way her hair fell on the arm of the chair and few teased her cheeks. He couldn't seem to erase this image from his mind since then.
 If Colonel wouldn't have sent him to design and manufacture blades and metal containers for weaponry, he would have preferred to spend some time with her. He wondered who the other weird guy was but he had nothing to worry about. He was no competition. He knew Sneha. Though she never dated in school but he heard she had a secret crush on their school's tennis star, a tall, curly haired fellow. He knew she liked open army jeeps and bikes. She would definitely like him now. She had to, he was no more the skinny guy who couldn't run a mile without his tongue down his toes. Self-assuring himself he thought,' yes, she would like me.'

'Sir.'

'Hmm, yes.'

'You are humming.'

'I am?' He didn't require any answer as he saw everyone in the tent passing him a smile. He blushed slightly.

'Sir, it's your lucky day. Here comes your lady.'

Vaibhav revolved in lightning speed to see Sneha coming towards his camp station. 
There was a rosy touch to her cheeks which he thought suited perfectly with her fair skin and dark eyes.

'Hello beautiful.' He greeted her with an obeisance.
 Sneha caught the amusement in his eyes.
'It is not his fault', she thought to herself and decided to play along. It would improve her mood.

'Trying to be smooth Mr. Rich?'

Vaibhav laughed. This is what she used to call him back in school. It was the literal meaning of his name.

'Where were you?' He asked.

'Let's just say, I was in a lab.' She shot a glance at Jai who gazed back then continued, 'I got bored so I came to play with my action figure.'

Vaibhav was flattered. Jai rolled his eyes placing a glass tube full of enzymes into a bullet shaped metal container.

'So, you missed me?' Vaibhav leaned towards her.

Sneha found Vaibhav handsome, given a different scenario she would definitely want to date him. She was too distracted for this now. She was conscious that she hadn't replied him. Weakly, she slid past him.

'Are these the blades?' She asked avoiding his question. She knew Jai was in the same room, though it should not bother her but she felt odd.

'Yes.' Vaibhav replied picking one from a sac on the ground. He knew she was never easily influenced.

'Wow, they look majestic. I have always seen these in a Lord Vishnu's pictures. They looked so petite there.' She said observing carefully.

'Glad you liked them.' He said softly.
His voice felt warm, he sounded well.

Colonel trudged towards Rajeev sir, who was having a conversation with Trisha and Mukesh, granting them the authority to announce a leave for the rest of the facility staff. Trisha would call the scientists and members of administration. She would call everyone personally to ensure that nobody shows up at the facility or even near its campus. Mukesh would help in informing the supporting staff of Maintenance cell and crew of the cafeteria. He was thankful that his entire security team was already a part of this task. Sensing the approach of Colonel Singh, Rajeev sir dismissed Trisha and Mukesh.