•Chapter twenty-two•

I walk into the the smooth air of Sugar&Sweets. I adjust my bag on my shoulder as I look around at the customers sitting around, enjoying their afternoon tea.

I make my way to the back of the coffee house, and knock on the office door at the back of the kitchen.

"Come in."

I hesitated before opening the door to see my Old Boss. She still had her hair tied in a bun, and her painted eyebrows were more successful than me right now.

"Ah, your back." She says looking at me with no expression at all.

"Huh, yeah, I guess I am." I shrug.

"What happened? Your Boss didn't like your face?" She says. I nearly miss her rude comments.

"Something like that." I mumble.

"You start now." She says leaving over and chucking me an apron.

"What?" I say frowning. That easy?

"Your hired, Amy is nagging me for help, and all I want to do is eat my donuts without interruption." She says in a bored tone, pointing to her box of donuts.

"Now get out."

I didn't need to be told twice, I thanked her and shut the door behind me, with the apron in my hands. Lucky I got her on a good day, but she'll probably regret it later.

I put my apron on and watch as Amy rushes from table to table. She comes back, instantly seeing me, she smiles and her eyes trail down on my apron.

"Your- wait, what?" She says looking confused as ever.

"I'm back." I nervously laugh, pulling down my black cardigan sleeves.

"But what about Eugene? What- what?" She couldn't understand.
"What are you doing here?"

"I work here." I say.

"What are you really doing here?"

"Last time I checked, it's a free country." I smile.

"Edythe... what happened?" She says grabbing my arms and leading me around the back to talk.

"Now spill." She was serious now.

I looked her in the eye. "Players don't fall in love."

Her hand went to cover her mouth. "Edythe you didn't quit, did you?"

I didn't say anything, I just looked at the ground to see my shoes and her purple ones.

"He's changed. I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I need you to know that he's changed." Amy says looking at me.

"It's for the best." I say.

She nods, understandingly then turns to go back to the counter. I followed after her with my mind wondering.

Am I doubting myself? No. I can't, it's for the best.

"What would you like to order?" I smile for the person waiting at the counter.