forty-eight

Chauncey's five inch heels clinked across the plastic floor. Of course, leave it to Jermaine to waste his precious money on stupid things, but leave out the floor. She clucked her teeth disapprovingly, clutching onto her purse for her dear live. She had never once been to a brothel, but at the same time, she'd never believed that she'd be associated with the head of this brothel: Jermaine.

              But she felt as if she owed it to him, for he was the only person who was there for her times and times after her mother died, and her father was arrested. If he told her to jump, she'd ask "How high?" Seemed pretty cliche, and there were times where she cursed herself for joining with the bad guys, the guys that her mother had warned her about countless amount of times.

             But your mother's not here Chauncey.

              Chauncey stopped in front of the metal door, Jermaine's name stapled across in nails. She took a deep breath, knocking on the door. "You got my money?" He asked, crossing his arms. He was shirtless, a blunt tucked securedly into his lips. Chauncey toyed with her fingers, too afraid to look at him. "I can't--I don't--"

               "You got the money or nah?" He asked. He was angry. She could tell. He'd let her slide too many times for him to be playing games now. She'd learnt one thing from being friends with him: no man plays about his money. "Nah. I don't have. I'll get it, I promise!" Chauncey stated begging Jermaine. Jermaine eyed her up and down, shaking his head. "Next week, Monday. I'm giving you fourty-eight days starting next week Monday. If I ain't got it by then..." He trailed on. He didn't have to finish. Chauncey knew the deal, she'd been in this game for practically her whole life. If she didn't get that money, she'd be dead: laying next to everyone she'd ever love.

              She'd be gone, leaving her little sister and older brother up here on earth to fend for themselves. She'd get that money, even if it was the last thing she did.

//written by: dearlybeloathed and kvsses